bassbum85

Musky Swimbaits

If I were making a musky lure (I've never actually seen a musky in person, let alone fished for one) I would use an epoxy like Etex, which is softer and won't crack and flake off. Because PVC is both hard and waterproof, you top coat doesn't have to be bullet proof, just durable.

I've make PVC lures for barricudas, which seem to use the same dentist as muskies, and they held up fine with Etex.

Like Mark I've never seen a musky, or built lures for them, but have read what a lot of the guys that do fish for them use for a top coat and they seem to like Etex. Etex doesn't get as hard as D2T and therefore holds up better to toothy critters. D2T dries to a much harder finish than Etex and that makes it more likely to crack under the pressure a musky can put on a bait with it's teeth.

Ben

Not to pump my thread but have you looked into Amazing Clear Cast? I think it's a newer product (I got mine at Hobby Lobby). It dries hard but has some "give" to it. By that I mean that on a test piece I coated a dug a thumbnail into it deep enough to leave a very noticeable scratch, came back in an hour and there was no trace of the scratch. I have also clamped down on it with needle nose pliers ( not enough to tear the finish but deep enough to leave a "print") and had the same result. D2T and Etex are the old guard gold standard for lure finishes from what I gather in my short time here so far at TU but ACC is definitely worth looking in to if you have concerns about toothy fish.... I don't know if it would help if you wre worried about fishy teeth but that's another thread for another site!!

I have built a few and refinished many musky lures and I use d2t just because that is what I can find locally. I have used etec and didn't have any problems with it either, but I didn't see an advantage either. The biggest trouble I have is not with musky teeth but with hooks wearing the finish. The size of hooks that are used on musky lures have a lot more weight to them as they swing from side to side than my bass lures. The factory finish won't stand up to hooks or teeth either.

For me personally, I would love to have a beat up ole wore out musky lure that is full of teeth marks and may even have a tooth or two stuck in it. That would be the ultimate trophy lure to frame in a glass case. What keeps that from happening to me up to now, is I have been working with wood and as soon as the wood is exposed, the water does its damage. The lure becomes water logged and just doesn't perform to my liking enough continue to get the wear I want. Now I have started using pvc and I can see that wall hanger lure just waiting to happen. I'm looking for a lure to last long enough to get wore out!!!! lol Musky Glenn

thanks for all the info guys. I have been using a 2 part epoxy froma hobby shop and its ok so far just havent really put in enough time on the water with it to see how it will hold up. a couple buddys have some of my baits and plan on getting some southern muskys on em and that should really test my products out.

I've found when fishing for big Stripers that the big 3/0 hooks tear up the clearcoat. I initially start with 2 coats of clear and as the plugs get beat up I will add another coat when needed. Eventually they will get 4 coats and by then they are pretty tough or a fatty has wrapped me up in a tree and busted off the plug.

Hook rash is more of a storage than fishing problem. I have found the best solution is to store my large swimbaits and plugs in a Plano Saltwater wrap, this stops them rattling around plus it is breatheble so wet lures dry out. I also cover all my hook points using thin plastic tubing.

Edited by gordon

There is a difference in types of epoxy. I can't find Devcon here locally so I use what is available. Tractor Supply stocks a good type of 30 min.epoxy and they also stock a "less" good 30 min. epoxy. The difference is in the strength indicated on the label. The good type is rated at 3500 lbs. and the "less" good is rated at 2000 lbs. Musky Glenn

Hook rash is more of a storage than fishing problem. I have found the best solution is to store my large swimbaits and plugs in a Plano Saltwater wrap, this stops them rattling around plus it is breatheble so wet lures dry out. I also cover all my hook points using thin plastic tubing.

Gordon,

I find I have hook rash on walking baits and cranks from the front treble swinging back and forth against the lure belly on the retrieve.

Most of my baits are stored in plano boxes that are so full there's no room for the hooks to move. Hahaha

• Like 1

The more scratches on a bait the better. I seal my plugs with a coat of nulustre 55, prime, paint and seal again with a coat of nu lustre. Having fished for 15 years with famous muskie guide Marc Thorpe, I have changed my mind about beaten up lures. I dont change them for brand new ones, but I keep them on the line as they work, simply.

Pat