Smellycat

Dust Collector

does anybody have a homemade sawdust collector that is connected to a vacuum that has several holes to suck in dust like one of those elongated lawn sprinklers? I use a dremel and would enjoy a sawdust collector that spans an area or a length of my workbench rather than just a vacuum hose with a single opening.

be very carefull . many shop vacs and vacuums are not designed for dust. we run a dust collecter out of necesity. make sure if your collecters and tubing are plastic there GROUNDED. that will help from static electric discharge or KABOOM. dont want to see anyone have that issue

Woodieb8

Sorry - but explosions caused by static electricity from "ungrounded " plastic pipe / duct collectors is a urban legend. Plastic is a non-conductor of electricity - so how can you ground it? This has been thrown around for years - not happened yet.

Can wood dust be exploded from a spark? - Yes - it can, but the concentrations must be EXTREMELY high - so high you couldn't be in the room and work. There are many wood workers who have dust collection systems built using PVC pipe and no problem.

To get a idea of how concentrated dust must be for it to explode - think in terms of a grain elevator - where tons and tons of corn and other grain is processed (and for long durations - think in terms of years) - they have issues with dust and sparks - but a home shop and a dremel - not going to happen.

UG

Smellycat,

If you're able to, buy a commercially made system with the vacuum motor outside your shop, and multiple dust gate valves inside that are low voltage controlled.

If you want to make your own, be sure to get an explosion-proof exhaust fan that generates a lot of static pressure, so it can move the sawdust along with the air.

I think a shop vac. with a remote control and multiple intakes makes the most sense. Moving it outside makes it quieter, and leaves any find dust that leak out on the outside, too.

If you go to wood working sites, like Rockler's, they sell everything you need.

I use a dremel and would enjoy a sawdust collector that spans an area or a length of my workbench rather than just a vacuum hose with a single opening.

Do some research on a "sanding table" or a downdraft collector. should suit your problem.

If you make one, post pics :)

I can say from personal experience this collector for a shop vac is incredible. It is called the Oneida dust deputy. I have three of them and you do not lose suction even when you suck up drywall dust. It has been two years since I have had to clean the filter on my shop vac attached to my table saw.

They are top heavy so I just put it the waste bucket inside another bucket with lead in the bottom to keep them from tipping.

Building a down draft table is as simple as pegboard used for a box lid with a vacuum port attached to the box.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2021015/26326/ONEIDA-DIY-Molded-Dust-Deputy-Cyclone.aspx

http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Downdraft.cfm

http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2009/04/10-downdraft-table-plans-and-build-notes-for-wood-shops

Down draft table sounds good to me. I just need something to keep me and my workbench from being coated. As far as fine dust goes I'm going to by buying a box fan and an air filter unless the downdraft table will do that too

Edited by Smellycat

I use the box fan/filter method for my lathe especially when sanding. Fine Woodworking did an article a few years ago and that method tested as well as the $400 machines providing you keep the filters in working order. i use water based paints so I use it for over-spray collection as well.

What kind of filter material do you use?

I use the filters for a furnace that you buy at the hardware store. 20x20 fits a standard window type box fan. I get the mid range filters that cost $4 or $5 and they work great. Paint plugs them permanently after many hours of painting and sawdust can be blown out with a air hose for multiple uses. I use water-based paints, so I am not concerned with the motor not being sealed. If you are using solvent based paint I would not do this, the open winding's on a cheap box fan would work just like a spark igniter for your gas grill!