bassbum85

Painting Lexan

Don't know all the alternatives but I've found that a topcoat that penetrates through the acrylic paint to adhere to the substrate (Lexan in this instance) is something that works pretty well. One topcoat that does a good job of this is Dick Nite S81 moisture cured urethane. But I'd also check into what dyes might work for this, as it might be a quick and lasting solution.

I painted some lexan lips with red acrylic and topcoated with poly. It came right off in big peices the first time I got it wet. I took that same lure to the machine shop where I work and grit blasted the lip with glass beads. It came out like a smoked glass. I then recoated with the same stuff and it is on for life. I agree with Mark that roughing the surface up is the key. (Atleast with what I was using)

Edited by Sonny.Barile

I paint all my lexan fins same time that I paint the lure. I figured while I got all my paint out and airbrush hooked up that is the best time. I carve on my fins and clean the dust off before paint. I paint my bait on my lure turner and set a small space heater next to hit while it turns until it is dry.

When clearing my baits I clear everything with etex, since that is what I have right now. I think if you want your paint to stay on the tail then slap some clear or epoxy on it too. A nice clear coat always brings out some nice colors in the paint.

Color some epoxy resin the color you want the fins. Rough the Lexan with fine sandpaper. Mix the epoxy with hardener. Apply to the fin, wait for it to set slightly, use a toothpick or something similar to work the epoxy to simulate fin bones/rays. Attach to lure and finish whole thing, fins as well with another fine coat of epoxy.

I have used this on my swimbaits and the fins look very realistic.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/10460-some-7-inch-swimbaits-i-have-made/

Edited by gordon