LETerDIG

Airbrush Cleaning

What does everyone use for a cleaner? I have been looking for a spiral tube brush with brushes like a wire brush to clean my airgun with, my nozzle and the throat.. Pipe cleaners leave fibers behind. I have ordered a couple just to get them to be either too big to fit through my throat or not steelbrushes and the fibers fall off.. Any sight recommendations?

I have an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS

I've never found brushes small enough to fit the barrel of an HP-B when the nozzle (tip) is removed. If I remember, the instructions say to use the needle while cleaning to carefully push any clogs out of the nozzle. I shoot some acetone through the brush after painting and that seems to dissolve any remaining paint pretty well. Another problem for me is dried paint accumulating in the rear barrel around the packing. Filling the cup with water and using the needle to "pump" water back into the barrel seems to help. But I still soak the whole brush in brush cleaner every couple of months, which I think is the best way to get the innards really clean, evidenced by the paint particles left in the cleaning solution after soaking the brush for 12 hours (with occasional agitation).

I will usually spray ammonia free (make SURE it is ammonia free!!!) windex through after backflushing with water (holding the entire front portion of the AB under water). When I take the AB completely apart I'll soak the parts in hot water, wipe the needle down with acetone and run the back end of the needle through the bore a few times to get any crud out of there. After reassembly I'll shoot some acetone through, followed by warm water. Maybe overkill and maybe my procedure is incorrect but so far it has worked for me.

I wouldn't suggest using any type of wire brush to clean your airbrush. It can scratch the nozzle and that just gives paint an easy place to stick to. And if the wire brush isn't made from stainless steel it can leave minute particles of the wire bristles behind which will eventually rust and cause you even greater problems. It's just not a good idea in any sense.

Ben

The smallest brush in this set will go right through the center tube of my Iwata airbrush after the needle and nozzle are removed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N3IX3Y/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

THANKS GUYS!

I actually bought this one that QuickDraw stated above and it works wonders.. I have some acetone so I will be doing some of that as well.. It sucks sprayIng in a garage that is 80° after 11 O'clock! I alpreciate the help though!