dlaery

Air Flow Mointer

I have 1/4" od clear tubing and would like to have some type of speed o meter showing how fast air is moving through this hose. It does not have any pressure. Anybody know of something available that would work? Or an idea that could be made easily?

Where's the guy with the "nutty ideas"? 8O

Thanks,

A simple home made manometer will give you an indication of speed. It will show you if the air is going faster or slower. I have no idea what you are trying to do or how much you know, so I am just throwing this out there.

A manometer is simply a U-tube fitted to a TEE at one end, open to atmosphere the other end and half filled with water. When there is zero airflow, the water sits level in the U-tube. As the flow increases, the pressure in the pipe drops and the water level rises on the pipe side of the U-tube. The pressure is the measurement in height between the water levels.

Lots of information available by Googling on manometers.

Dave

Dscf0136.jpg

I would like to have one in the bottom (air supply)

this should have a little pressure from the powder in the container.

and another one in the air vent, so I can tell if air is coming out.

this is made with clear pvc, it is actually blue tinted and I was hoping I would be able to see the air movement, but cant' see it. I keep turning up the pressure and then the lid pops off and powder goes everywhere.

Dscf0136.jpg

Dscf0136.jpg

Dscf0136.jpg

Dscf0136.jpg

Dscf0136.jpg

Dscf0136.jpg

Dscf0136.jpg

post-11354-0-24054200-1340659356_thumb.jpg

I would just stick a peace of thread or tinsel in one of the fittings then slide the pipe in the fitting pinching the thread or tinsel holding it in position. With a bend in the tinsel it would be more noticeable when it starts to flap around like a flag. or go straight when the air flows then wrinkle up when its off.