saltshaker

Stencil Makin' Idea

My buddy (who is an artist) drew out some craw patterns on typin' paper, cut 'em out and sent them to me. Well, it's gonna be tough to use these as stencils considering it's on typin' paper. What is the best way for me to transfer this to the product (probably mylar) to make the actual stencil?

I'll post a pic if my jabberin' is unclear.

Ever hear of carbon paper? Slide a sheet of carbon paper between your originals on the typing paper and whatever you want to use to cut your stencils out of. Then trace the outline of the original. The carbon paper will transfer onto the stencil material. Then just cut it out.

Ben

I traced 'em through the clear plastic and cut out a couple. Should I leave them open at the top or bottom (they're drawn both ways), or, should I cut them out of the center of the plastic leaving excess all the way around? GEEZ, this doesn't hardly make sense to me. :oooh:

My buddy (who is an artist) drew out some craw patterns on typin' paper, cut 'em out and sent them to me. Well, it's gonna be tough to use these as stencils considering it's on typin' paper. What is the best way for me to transfer this to the product (probably mylar) to make the actual stencil?

I'll post a pic if my jabberin' is unclear.

Hi Saltshaker,

It would be nice to share those patterns with us :)

If you like.

Regards,

Dominte

5mil Laminating sheets make decent stencils and you can print right on them as well. I've fooled around with some on Photoshop. The only problem I have is..............I cannot for the life of me use an exacto knife. My only other option is to learn how to use the airbrush...........damn learning curves!

5mil Laminating sheets make decent stencils and you can print right on them as well. I've fooled around with some on Photoshop. The only problem I have is..............I cannot for the life of me use an exacto knife. My only other option is to learn how to use the airbrush...........damn learning curves!

If I could paint like you....I would have no worries. :nuhuh:

My stencils are made from thin, clear plastic and I use one stencil for both sides. That way both sides end up being the same. I have a hard enough time getting one cut out like I want it. Doubt I could cut 2 exactly the same. Just be sure to wipe the paint off before using it on the other side.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

I've been working on mirroring stencils in the design studio. The come out nice. I tried mirroring them end to end to wrap front to back and tried over and under.

The hardest part is judging the distance necessary to properly wrap them.

For the most part looks like the best way is to make the mirrors and then cut them in half.

Salt I'd love to try this craw and see if I can do it on the machine.

DSCN5276.jpg

Right now, need to shower and do laundry. Just finished mowing. Had to replace the belt on the lawnmower and wanted to beat the heat.

Seems like I may have done that.

LOL

G