How To Round The Backs On Baits Help Please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rangerboats1

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:10 PM

I have been making lures for about a year and still need help rounding backs and bellies on 1/2 balsa router tearse the wood and hand sand takes to long. i am wanting to produce the baits faster. I thougt of halfing 3/4" pvc and put sand paper inside. it works but still to slow. Any ideas? please help. thanks guys.

#2 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

Take a look below at the topic "Rounding Crankbait Bodies" and scroll down to the post about the "Aussie Wheel" by Hazmail. It's a custom contoured wheel with sandpaper mounted in a grinder that he uses for rounding over. About the only thing left beyond that is a duplicating lathe, which suppliers of unpainted balsa blanks to online stores like lurepartsonline.com or Janns Netcraft use. Unless you're a "tool freak" or intend to sell crankbaits in volume, the cost of a duplicating lathe may be impractical.

#3 littleriver

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

This is the best and fastest way i know............short of a duplicator.............

#4 mark poulson

mark poulson

Advanced Member

• TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,789 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

If you're building with a softer wood, a carving knife, or even a sharp exacto knife, should remove enough material quickly to reduce the amount of hand sanding.
I use an oscillating belt sander, which has two different diameter drive wheels at either end, and I can get my lures shaped and rounded pretty quickly with it.
I use a small vibrating sander to do the final smoothing.
I don't worry about exact symmetry. I just check them by eye.
I also don't mass produce lures, or I'd probably make one of Pete's grooved sanding wheels to save time, and increase consistency.

Edited by mark poulson, 01 July 2012 - 10:57 AM.