cardawg

Yellowed Crankbait Bills

I've tried cleaning some and had a little success depending on how yellowed they were. If they're not too bad I've had some luck sanding them with progressively finer sandpaper until I get up to around 1000 or 1500 grit sandpaper and then giving them a quick dip in clean acetone. Emphasis on "clean" and "quick". When I say a quick dip I'm talking about just in and out. The acetone will melt the fine marks left behind by the sandpaper and leave a smooth finish. Don't try to wipe them dry because the acetone softens the surface and you will only screw up the smooth finish. If anything you can give the bait a quick flip of the wrist so any remaining acetone will be slung off. Keep in mind they're not going to come out looking like a brand new lip, but you may be able to save some. At least to the point that they'll be fishable again.

I've also tried polishing them with jewelers rouge and a cotton buffing wheel, but could never get a smooth finish as it always seemed to take off a little more in some places than others.

Ben

If the yellowing is caused by finish that the lure was dipped into at the factory, you can remove the old finish with fine sandpaper and then dip the lip in Dick Nite or another moisture cured urethane to hide the scratches and restore the clarity. JMHO, a yellowed lip on an old lure will not detract from its fish catching ability and I think fixing it is more esthetic than practical. It's easier to mess it up than improve it. Consider the popularity of circuit board lips on crankbaits today. They are much more obtrusive than even a badly yellowed plastic or Lexan lip - and the bass don't seem to mind.

Co-signed,

BTH.

I have quite a few yellowed bill cranks that outfish brand shiny new ones. Sometimes i think the yellowed bill actually helps as it may blend in with the water... I dont know this for fact ( not being able to see things through a bass' eyes seriously handicaps me there...) but on a practical level i wiuldnt worry too much about it. As long as the action is ok, the lure is ok IMHO...

All the handmade baits that look like bagley style....dont look like a real bait fish anyway to most fisherman.....but hey they catch fish and the fish have been eating them for years..so do you really think the color of the lip has a darn thing to do about it...I wouldn;t worry about the color of the lip....99 percent of the time is where you cast your bait that determines if your going to catch a fish or not. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by MR KNOW IT ALL KIND OF
  • Like 1