mark poulson

Single Hook Crank Report

Good news, bad news.

The good news is they swim, and don't hang up, and catch less grass than cranks with trebles.

The bad news is the single hook doesn't catch them like trebles.

I was throwing to some busting fish yesterday so I felt the bass hit the lure multiple times but no hookup. I'm sure the same lure with trebles would have been successful. The hits on the single hook were serious hits, but no hookups.

Grrrr.... Now I have a bunch of single hook cranks that I'm going to add belly treble to, to see if that helps.

Otherwise, they're just pretty paper weights.

This is why I never tried this approach for topwater baits for speckled trout and redfish. It just didn't make sense to me that the hookup ratio would not suffer. Guys along the Tejas coast use it, but, I don't think they are being fully honest with their findings. With the positioning of their mouth, a redfish has a hard time with a topwater bait to begin with. Taking away 2/3 of the hooks cannot improve hookups....not on that species.

I have no way of knowing for sure, but I doubt this type of bait was meant to take the place of all previous crankbaits outfitted with trebles. As specialized as fishing has become in the last few years it's my opinion that this is just another "tool" to be used under specific fishing conditions such as fishing along the edges of deep grass beds. Given the location of the hook it should be much more weedless than a conventional crankbait, and if a lure is digging bottom a fish sure isn't going to come at it in the same way they would a top water. Not unless somebody started giving fish shovels and taught them how to dig holes in the bottom of the lake.

Ben

Well, I bit the bullet and removed the single hook from three of the cranks, and installed belly and tail trebles.

But I'm keeping the others for just what Ben talked about, fishing deep next to weed lines. They are more weedless that cranks with trebles, and I'm hoping the fish will eat them differently than the shallow busting fish, which seem to swipe at cranks to stun them a lot of the time.

Nathan, I have actually thought of doing something like that, but haven't tried it. Yet...

I have a small frog hook on my workbench, and I've been trying to think of how to incorporate into a crank. Cutting the bottom hook off a treble would do the same thing. Hmmm.....

I never thought of using a trailer hook on them, Bassrecord. I'll give it some consideration.

My first thought is it would make them less weedless, and throw off the balance.

But it's not hard to do, so I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the idea.

Glenn,

I was thinking of installing the trebles with the single hook facing down, and cutting that one off, so the double hook that was left would kind of cradle the belly of the bait.

I already do something similar with the tail hook on shallow running cranks. I "T" them, so two of the hooks are splayed out to the side flat, and the third is at 90 degrees from them. I install them so the single hook is facing up. That has cut down on snags a lot, but doesn't seem to affect the hookup ratio.

Here's a picture of a "T"d treble:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/5692-t-ing-trebles/

Edited by mark poulson

Glenn,

That's why I started T'ing my hooks, too, to cut down on hook rash on my jointed swim baits.

Someone here at TU suggested it years ago. They said they did it with their walleye cranks, or else the hooks would wear right through the plastic after a day of trolling.

I was just playing around with my hooks on my 1.5 and 2.5 cranks to try and make them snag less, since I throw them into flooded brush in the spring, when I figured out that a T'd hook with the single hook up on the tail would cut down on snags.

If I cut off the down facing hook on the belly treble, like Nathan suggests, it would probably help a lot, too. That;s my next project.

Mark,

You'll be surprised how snag less the bait will become and how good your hook up ratio will be ...besides even if I do miss a couple fish the increased amount of strikes because of where I 'm able to fish my baits more than makes up for it..Nathan

I run what is called a "baker rig" on some of my baits... I like to fish single hooks.

50g.jpg

This gives a little more hook exposure with all the benefits of a single hook...They are taped together and will pull apart when hooked up. Granted I don't fish for bass etc mostly large pelagics...

PilchardBait.jpg

Maybe you could try a larger hook? I like them big so when they inhale a lure you have a good chance of a hook finding home. These are R2S Shoguns but you should be able to get small in-line hooks for bass?

ReelAppeal,

I don't think your setup will help me, but I appreciate your input.

I started this single hook crank project to see if I could duplicate, or at least come close, to the Sebile single hook crank. My thinking was that the design would be much less snag and weed prone while fishing for bass in heavier cover, and that was what I wanted to achieve.

I was able to make the lures, and get them to swim just fine.

My problem was I was feeling what felt like bumps on the retrieve, but no hookups.

When I threw a more shallow model onto fish busting bait, I got hit multiple times, but no hookups.

It was as though I had no hook on my crank. I think the bass were slapping the lure, trying to stun it, instead of eating it, so they never got the hook into their mouth.

That's why we've been discussing what is the best way to revert to a more conventional crank bait treble hook setup and still remain relatively weed and snag free.

I've never fished in New Zealand, so I don't really know anything about your fishery, but I have fished the salt here in SoCal for most of my life.

The hardware we put on freshwater cranks here wouldn't last too long in the salt. Ocean fish are stronger, have harder mouths, and stronger jaws. A barricuda or bonita here would bite one of my bass cranks in half, I'm afraid.

The lure in you picture would work for the ocean fish here, or for freshwater fish in open water, but I'm afraid it would foul and snag if fished in the kind of brush and weeds I fish my cranks in, looking for largemouth bass.

Im sorry if I missed this, but where and how did you have the single hook attached to the crank? Ive done it with a swedish pimple dropper single hook on the belly of smaller cranks for crappie with some success. I'm going to see if I can scrounge up some pictures or find one of those baits, its been a couple years

Im sorry if I missed this, but where and how did you have the single hook attached to the crank? Ive done it with a swedish pimple dropper single hook on the belly of smaller cranks for crappie with some success. I'm going to see if I can scrounge up some pictures or find one of those baits, its been a couple years

Hi Mark, good and honest report. Thanks for sharing. Don't be too disappointed and don't give up on the idea either, they were/are awesome looking baits and a good idea. You may wake up in the middle of the night with the solution to the hook-up problem in your mind. This has happened to me a couple of times. Good luck with this one.

John