stanger1944

Prepping For Paint

6 posts in this topic

What is the best way to prep hard plastic crankbaits for paint. I have some new crankbait bodies from Barlow's that are just clear now? Also what is the best paint to use?

I give them a quick dip in clean acetone. I hold them by the bill, and do a quick dip. QUICK!

Acetone is the solvent for most of the plastics used by lure makers, so it removes a minute amount of the surface, and gives me a virgin plastic surface to paint.

I say Quick, because it will also dissolve the glue joint that holds the two halves of most plastic lures together if you let it soak.

I spray my water based air brush paints directly over the cleaned plastic, and don't have any adhesion problems. Just be sure to heat set each thin coat as you go.

Edited by mark poulson

I just go over them with a piece of fine steel wool. I only use water base paints. I've tried Mark's acetone dip and that works just fine. I can't take the fumes.

Does water based paint seem to cover better? I used some acrylic on one and it took a lot of coats before I got good coverage or it seemed that way at the time.

For me, thin coats dry more completely, so I wind up with a better paint job. Thick coats of acrylic paint never seem to get really hard.

Stanger, maybe you are not applying a color base coat? If you want the color scheme to be solid colors, you should shoot a base coat of white acrylic paint before adding the colors. If you want the bait to be translucent for clear water fishing, omit the base coat.