DJR

Colorant?

I am considering where to place my initial order for colorant. Prices across the various companies are similar except for Caney Creek's X2 being higher than the rest. However, Caney Creek claims that less product is needed to achieve results which could make their offering more cost effective in the long run. Do you think there are any standouts in terms of one brand versus another? Is X2 worth the extra money? In addition, what is the approximate shelf life of colorant? Thanks.

Ron

I use X2 from Caney Creek ...and the X2 is NOT repackaged MF (the old stuff was...and they made no attempt to tell you otherwise.).

I would suggest you order some X2 and give it a try. Most of us that have actually tried it and switched to X2 because you use a lot less...and the colors are so much better (more consistent and "deep".)

I've used colorant from everyone listed in the thread and I prefer x2...based upon my experience with the actual product not just a bias negative opinion.

I don't know what basis that BBK has for his comments about Caney Creek and whether they are justified or not. In addition, I certainly don't want this discussion to ultimately turn into a bashing of Caney Creek or any other company. I am only interested in opinions based on actual experience. Thanks.

Ron

Edited by DJR

I have no personal experience with the NEW x2 from CCM. From all reports I read everyone seems to really like it.

I bought a bunch of colorant from someone getting out and will not need new colorant anytime soon.

Only prob I see with the x2 is there currently are not alot of recipes.

...Bill

I bought the CCM X2 in green pumpkin. It is exactly as they say it is. It takes less drops then all the rest. I've used bear, LC, Del, and MF green pumpkin. Which are great colorants also. This X2 so far is my favorite green pumpkin that I have used. I will be replacing some of my other colors with x2 when I run out of others.

DO NOT USE FOOD COLORING!!!!

Food colorant is water based and when you mix anything with water with hot plastic you get a pretty significant explosion!!!!

Not true at all. I have used food coloring many times, my favorite color uses food coloring actually. It bubbles sort of like carbonated water, then after a couple minutes you are good to go. There is no explosion, and never will be unless you add it to lead.

If it's a soy based (soy oil) food colorant...you may be able to get away with it. If it's water based (cheap stuff and cake making colorants)......you do the testing......

I think I am going to stay away from anything that "bubbles sort of like carbonated water" in 350 degree plastic.

If it's a soy based (soy oil) food colorant...you may be able to get away with it. If it's water based (cheap stuff and cake making colorants)......you do the testing......

I think I am going to stay away from anything that "bubbles sort of like carbonated water" in 350 degree plastic.

I have, several times. If you have never done it, then dont tell me what happens. I KNOW what happens, because I do it. There is no danger in it, it just messes up your plastic for a while.

Someone people get crazy with the myths around here. I have actually added water straight to burnt (380º) plastic to see what would happen. Of course there were safety precautions I took, but none the less I am one of the very few who have actually tried it. I can assure you there is no explosion, and it is NOTHING like adding water to hot oil or lead.