carolinamike

Gruesome But You Need To Know

Ouch Big Ray.  Hope he is ok and heals up quickly.  Even more reason for me to be a little leary of this.  Seen enough burns working with hot steel to know I don't want any type of burn.  Already got my Long sleeves, paints, safety boots, gloves, safety glasses/goggles.  After reading this post I will have a chilling bucket handy.  I don't plan on pouring more than a few baits at a time so I don't care if it takes longer.  I am fortunate to have a job where I have a lot of time off so I have time to spare.  Hurrying at anything has only ever gotten me into trouble and I darn sure don't want this type of trouble finding me.  I'm just trying to think if I have missed anything.  

Regards and well wishes to your friend.  Be safe and good luck.

I try to keep the level of plastic in my norpro silicone mixing cups down below the half way mark.  They are soft and flexible, so they can slip in my gloved hand if I don't use a death grip, or two hands, one on the bottom.

The only time I heat more than that is if I'm going to inject a lot of cavities at once, but I seldom try that anymore.

Edited by mark poulson

This is an excellent reminder for all of us, not just the new folks.

It's easy to become "comfortable" with our processes and forget that a small, simple mistake like bumping against something or just stirring too fast can easily result in painful, long-lasting injury.

A pan or pail with water that, at a minimum, is deep enough to submerge your hand into is highly recommended to keep close by but not so close to your work area that you might possibly spill it...

If (heaven forbid) that hot plastic gets spilled onto your lap or legs, just dump that pan or pail of water onto yourself as quickly as you can. You can dry up water a lot faster than you can grow new skin!

I, for one, am thankful for Mike being kind enough to share his experience with us and also very thankful that he recovered so well. It could have been much worse.

Edited by rixon529
  • Like 1

I'm grateful as well.  I'll be pouring either Tuesday or Wednesday.  Since I only have one mold (with two cavities) I won't be heating up too much plastisol but caution will be foremost on my mind.  I plan on doing a dry run (no plastisol) and go throw the entire process to make sure I eliminate as many potential pitfalls before they happen.

Wow I can't believe someone pulled this one back up, but I'm glad they did. Man it brings back bad memories! Guys please be careful, 350 degree, sticky substance is definatly nothing to play around with. Keep a container of water near your work station and gloves are a good idea as well. I cannot express to you how painful that expirience was. Bait making is a great, fun hobby but you can never be too safe.

• Like 1

I was cruising through the archives and came across this.  Since Im a newbie when it comes to working with this, I figured there were probably some other newbies out there looking for the same thing.  I honestly think this post should be pinned as a reminder about never letting our guard down when it comes to safety.  Safety in anything should be first and foremost.  While I cringed at seeing this, I thought I'd be cringing even more if it was me in those pictures.  I'd hate to have anyone else go through this.

• Like 1