bluetickhound

Epifanes... Has Anyone Used This Stuff?

While looking on the 'net for alternatives to the usual suspects for topcoats I came across this stuff. I did a search on TU and it didn't come up with any hits so I'm going straight to the source... Does anyone have any experience with this stuff and if so, it must either be SOOOO great you're keeping it on the downlow or it SOOOOOI awful it isn't worth fooling with!! Here's a link for anyone like me who might have an interest in it...

http://www.epifanes.com/products.html

Man, I wish there was a can of varnish or urethane for $15/quart that you could buy at Home Depot which would give you a perfect, non-yellowing, waterproof, super-durable topcoat on a crankbait. There isn't. Epoxy, moisture cured urethane (e.g. Dick Nite), or 2 part high solids auto clears are the only things I've found, heard about, or seen that really work. Topcoats are talked about more than any other subject here on TU. Do a few searches and I'll bet you find more than you want to know about any generic type of finish - in this case spar varnish, etc.

That's exactly what it is. It looks like its mainly used by boat repair/building type folk. I was actually kind of surprised a search here didn't turn up a single mention considering all the threads about topcoats.... I ordered some DN S81 and a sack of proprionate off of eBay to do a comparison test to see if I like either (or both... Or even NEITHER..) to the D2T I currently use....

Just to be clear... I didn't get my DN from eBay... Just the proprionate. I got a PM asking for the link to the auction where I got DN on eBay and after reading my post I can definitely see where it looks like that's what I said!! I WISH we could get DN that easily... I called Dick myself to get the S81 and am waiting on my PayPal invoice now...