weighinalimit

Has Anyone Seen This From Zappu Yet?

http://www.fishhound.com/blog/hot-new-technique-kickout-crankin

Supposed to make "any crankbait hunt" with a weight in a corkscrew spring that attaches to the rear treble. Anyone seen this yet or have an opinion? Thinking about molding a small ball head jighead on a piece of SS wire & twisting up a corkscrew just to see if it really does work.

Gimme some thoughts here guys!

I am thinking the independent wire attachment helps create a random swing to the weight, so it throws the bait's balance off momentarily and causes it to hunt by changing it's direction slightly.

I don't think pinching a split shot onto the rear treble's shank will achieve the same eccentric effect.

After looking at the video, I'd say "different" but not "hunting". To determine that, you need video shot from above the bait, over a straight course - not just a closeup from behind. I'd also take issue with the "make ANY crankbait hunt" statement (if that in fact is what the video says - since I don't speak Japanese). They only show one style of medium diving crankbait in the video. Would it still work on a 1 oz deep diver or a 1/4 oz flat sided D-bait? Unknown, but I'm skeptical. I also think it's an interesting idea but like a lot of things, you need to test it for yourself and ignore the advertising hype.

The video wasn't that clear, but I thought the weight/spring deal were loose enough to move independently of the treble to some degree.

I was picturing more of a bell clapper-type deal, where the weight could swing at a different "frequency" than the treble, and either cancel out it's vibration, or enhance it, randomly.

I think wiring the weight tightly to the treble just acts like ballast in the rear of the crank, and would surely kill some of it's action.

Edited by mark poulson

Here is a video of an original Bagley I shot nearly a year ago. I had a wire with a lead weight on the end of this bait instead of the usual hook. The lure had has a really nice wobble to dead stick action. The action can be seen in the video. When the lure would hit dead stick it would slide out one direction or the other. The action could be induced into the lure at will with speed and back again to normal wobble.

I think each bait will have it's own reaction to the added weight on the rear bait. Whether this change in action is good or bad I suppose that will be up to the fish. Might be fun to play with till one bites.

littleriver,

That's an interesting video, but it was hard for me to tell how the lures actually swam. My eyes must not be up to par anymore.

I was thinking that the interaction between the wobble of the rear treble and the pendulum of the wire on a weight, causing alternating harmonic wave action and wave interference would be what caused an erratic hunting action.

Try this one Mark . A bit slower. In a few frames the Bagley can be seen coming from deadstick to wobble. Not sure this link will work.

th_Thebullandthemouse.jpg

Skeeter I agree with you and Bob. The weight is swinging around and throwing the bait off course but this kind of erratic action might just get a bass to strike.

Edited by littleriver

Well, Imakatsu does it on their Waddle Bats cranks with a rear hook hanger mounted under the tail of the bait with a blade attached between the hook hanger and body of the bait:

bigbats_a010.jpg

I've never fished a "real" hunting lure, so don't know if this is what people mean by that action, but you can see in the video that it pretty dramatically kicks out.

Smokey, I have never seen the waddle bats but will be making myself one now that you have shown me one. Thank you for sharing. That bait has some crazy action. Really like it. What is true hunting and what is not is hard to pin down, if you ask me. Ask ten people and get ten different answers. The waddle looks to be doing some hunting to me. Though it may not be same style of hunting another hunter may display. If you ever seen a beagle with his nose to the ground after a rabbit you'll know exactly what i mean. No two beagles hunt exactly the same but the premise is the same.

Mark , hoping this link will work. At the 1:30 mark, the Bagley comes sliding in from the top right dead stick and just as it approaches the camera kicks out to wobble again.

th_Thebullandthemouse1.jpg

LR

Edited by littleriver

I can't get any of the videos to load and run. My youngest assures me I did everything right. I don't know what I actually did, other than click on them and wait.

SmokeyJ,

Hunting just means the lure kicks out randomly during the retrieve, changing direction unexpectedly. I think it is right on the edge of instability, like it wants to roll in a barrel roll, but, when the bill moves a little toward rolling, it dumps enough water to begin swimming upright again.

I have several cranks that swim at slower speeds, roll at higher speeds, and hunt if I can maintain the magic cadence between the two.

Having a weight that throws the center of gravity off randomly would probably do something similar, and I think that's what the Zappu thingy is all about.

I have made shallow running (3-5') cranks with a smaller bill that I can get to hunt when I burn them.

I'm guessing the retrieve speed is overwhelming the bill's ability to shed water evenly.

But that's just my guess, hardly scientific.

Edited by mark poulson

I can't get any of the videos to load and run. My youngest assures me I did everything right. I don't know what I actually did, other than click on them and wait.

SmokeyJ,

Hunting just means the lure kicks out randomly during the retrieve, changing direction unexpectedly. I think it is right on the edge of instability, like it wants to roll in a barrel roll, but, when the bill moves a little toward rolling, it dumps enough water to begin swimming upright again.

I have several cranks that swim at slower speeds, roll at higher speeds, and hunt if I can maintain the magic cadence between the two.

Having a weight that throws the center of gravity off randomly would probably do something similar, and I think that's what the Zappu thingy is all about.

I have made shallow running (3-5') cranks with a smaller bill that I can get to hunt when I burn them.

I'm guessing the retrieve speed is overwhelming the bill's ability to shed water evenly.

Mark i got it to play....but it doesn't show much. It didn't do much hunting if any at all. Oh well

SmokeyJ,

Add a split shot to the back treble hook and it will hunt. IF YOU THINK IT....IT WILL HAPPEN.