weighinalimit

Has Anyone Seen This From Zappu Yet?

To me, hunting means a lure intermittently kicking out to either side for a few beats but always naturally coming back to its central retrieve azimuth. I just didn't see that in the Zappu video. The Wobble Bat video showed what I think is extreme hunting (at high speed). A really good hunting bait will hunt at almost any retrieve speed and it's a quality that you see in very few commercial baits because they are designed to be "average performers". JMHO, there are various performance attributes that are important in a crankbait and I see hunting as a "nice to have" extra.

Smoky, thanks for sharing that is a very interesting bait. I have never heard of or seen one before. I could not determine by watching the video if the blade has any cup to it and if so was the concave side facing up or down. Has anyone seen or held one of these lures in their hand? If so could you answer that question?

Vic, I like you beagle analogy of the hunting lure.

LPO has a blade called a Royal Blade, it looks to be about the same shape as the blade on the the Waddle Bat. Just a thought that crossed my mind after seeing the video of the Waddle Bat. I am wondering if one of these Royal Blades could be attached to the underside of a shallow running crankbait and get the same results as shown in the video.

Looking at Wobble Bats on Ebay, one of the few places they are for sale, I do think the blades are Royal spinner blades. Can you get the same result on any shallow running crankbait with one of those blades? Don't see why not. But like any bait mod, it will require experimentation to get the blade size, attachment method, plus the crankbait shape and weight right.

Made and tried these trolling on a 8cm lure (3 1/4"), useless and decreased the action--BUT if you change the speed (twitch the rod tip) the action does become random and erratic-----------got me thinking :drool: this is where one of these, teamed up with a "Jig A Jig" might be a killer--for trolling anyway :? .

Pete

Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie to the site (first day and half a nite)...spent the time reading all ya'll guys wonderful ideas, insights etc. Wondering about the Waddle Bat....has anyone any experience with this lure....or tried similar prototypes? Would really like to see the any pictures that may be available....especially the back end of the Bat dealie...or other input.

Can already tell I'm going to enjoy this site..thanks much...Boyd

A few folks are asking about the components on my bait. So here it you go. The blade is made from a sheet of flat brass and the round piece above it is half a plastic bead. Both of which came from HL. I did put a slight bend in my blade. I used two pieces of hardwood and bench vise to make a press. The bead is sanded down . Depending on the length of your post the bead may be adjusted to give your own blade the desired slop. I debated for some time on the value of a second bead below blade. The original does have one but I wanted to keep my post as short as possible for strength. To help figure out the weight of blade need to get this thing hunting I used suspend dots on the blade. My first proto blade was made of aluminum. Finally settled on the blade you see here.

After throwing the finished bait for a while the only complaint is the blade is rubbing the belly of the bait a bit. I am going to bend the the post to see if I can make go away . Definetly something to keep in mind on the next one. This one will be going in my daughters tacklebox. As soon as she saw the pink she had to have it. Guess, i will have to make my own . LOL Good luck with your own build.................

Hey thanks Mark

It sits perfectly level with less than 1/4 of an inch of the back out of the water. I have much weight in the front of this bait. The two weights work together or against each other depending on how you want to see it to give the bait it's unique action. The wide action of the waddle bat was the first thing I noticed in the videos. Sort of like two children holding hands and spinning in a circle. The two weights offsetting each other occasionally throwing the bait off course but coming back again with the help of the bill and front weight. have no idea if this makes any sense but it is how I see it. I'll leave the science to the engineers. I'm in over my head already. :eek: