Terrydabassman

Photo Finishing

I could be wrong, but I think the inkjet will

only run if it gets wet. My photo finish baits

are not sealed with anything before applying

to my baits. I used titebond (water based glue)

to attach the pic to my wood and devcon 2T

for my first clear coat. I used regular white

printer paper to print my pics on.

Coley

Here is a couple of problems that I had in doing mine and I would like to share so no one does as I did. I used plain white paper and a Canon Bubble Jet printer. The printer worked awesome and the colors had printed nice and the colors remain nice to this point. I used Super Glue to glue the photo to the lure. I really believe that I did not adhere the photo to the bait very well in the beginning as it wrapped around the lure from the bottom. Before I sealed the bait I also applied 2 coats of a clear glittler paint to add a little sparkle to the lure. With that being said I think there was a seperation of the photo on the bottom of the lure. At least thats what it looks like to me. That seperation caused a split in my Devcon that I sealed the bait with. The sparkle paint should have coated the lure as well... but the photo is still not properly adhered. The Devcon basicly is chipping away from the bottom right now. So a few things could have happened. A little water got under the devcon coating where it cracked, or somewhere else on the lure and created more of a crack in the devcon. Water could have gotten under the coating and caused a little swelling in the wood that cracked the devcon, (but the lure is coated with a water proof) or the devcon didnt adhere to the glitter paint.

In the future, Im gonna make sure I use a better glue to adhere the photo to the lure, and make sure I coat the lure better. But bottom line the devcon craked off the lure in a couple of nise sized chunks. Has this happened to anyone else?? HELP!! Cody

I'm just testing some blanks now before I add the photos. I've got a couple of questions too.

1. Can a spray adhesive be used for applying the print?

2. After applying the print...how necessary is it to use a coat of epoxy before painting? Would another sealer not work as well?

Thanks...

When I made my photo finishes, I primed the bait as if I were going to paint it. Then I used a glue stick ( one with water based glue in a tube with the sponge type applicator ) This worked great, as the glue moistened and softened the white bond paper to a point where it wrapped around curves with little wrinkling. Where I did have a few wrinkles, just dab the spots and lightly work them out with a damp wood dowl. After drying for two days, topcoat with Devcon II and paint. Joe

Out2llunge,

1.) I have used a spray adhesive (contact cement) and did not have much luck with it. When I applied my first coat of Devcon I found that the edges of my pictures wanted to lift. I use contact cement that I brush on and have had very good luck with it.

2.) I prefer to use a coat of Devcon over the pictures BEFORE I paint because I feel it gives me a smoother surface to paint over as it covers the edges of the pictures. It also keeps the paper from absorbing the paint. Plus, if you mess up the paint, you just clean off the paint and start over. Once the lure is painted I apply my top coat of Devcon.

Gene

I used 2 coats of the Devcon 2 ton after the photo was applied and before I painted. The reasoning on this was to allow a little buildup of the Devcon over the edges of the photo on the sides. I really like the idea of the contact cement being used and applied with the brush AND softening the edges of the photo. Im gonna have to try that next. My thinking on this with the photo not being adhered to the lure and then the Devcon applied to that, there is nothing there to hold it together. So the crack occurs. Again... ?????? HMMMM???? I will try that next time... but my other lures with the foil finishes, they have been bullet proof! I have had no problems with them at all!

Cody

Hey O2L, I'm right behind you. How many times have you heard the story, I was reeling in a smallmouth bass, then this musky came and......., we'll hope they crush mine. I'll share any findings with you. In the process of putting a dozen or more baits together but have a few chores to tend to first. Have to open my pool. You need a big test tank don't you know! Good luck.