littleriver

Rebel Floater

Has anyone built one of these before?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Rebel-Floater-Rainbow-Trout-crankbaits-fishing-lures-Old-Tackle-Box-Bagley-/150847742502?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231f39e226#ht_500wt_951

I carved one recently by accident and after seeing this I am going to finish the shape just like this rebel floater pictured. But weight placement is the only question left. Any ideas? With the bib so far back on this short bait leaves little room. I am guessing at the lowest point and in the center.The Bait is similar in design to Rapala floaters and most likely weighted the same? Anyone taken one of theses apart? Hate to destroy another bait .

LR

Vic,

I hate to let a secret out here but i have several of the Rebel Humpbacks. They are one of my "go to" baits. My slogan is, "When I'm in a slump, I break out the hump." I have only made one of them and it is a deep diver with a circuit board lip. It works well. I would have to go out to the boat to give a picture, measurements, or anything else like that. Let me know if you want me to do that.

Gene

Hello Gene

I am just discovering for myself the fish catching power of this style of bait. An oldie but a goodie for sure. I like your jingle. I was carving a rapala floater at the time but this wider hump back bait turned out the result. After looking at baits I realized the rebel floater is what I have carved. Not sure the dimesions of my carving will match the real thing but I would like to know how the real bait sets in the water. Where is the waterline on the bait . This along with the appx center of gravity will give me a good idea of how much and where to weight my bait. Thank you.

Vic,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. My mind went out for a walk and just got back. :lolhuh:

Let's start with the dimensions: 1 7/8" long, 3/4" tall, and 3/4" wide. The lure sits low in the water. About 3/4 of the height sits below the surface. I have a picture but I don't know how to post it here. If you want, I can e-mail it to you.

I hope this helps.

Gene

Vic,

I hate to let a secret out here but i have several of the Rebel Humpbacks. They are one of my "go to" baits. My slogan is, "When I'm in a slump, I break out the hump." I have only made one of them and it is a deep diver with a circuit board lip. It works well. I would have to go out to the boat to give a picture, measurements, or anything else like that. Let me know if you want me to do that.

Gene

Gene...Im just curious...if the hump works so good why not just use it all the time. Never understood the expression or saying fisherman use when they say "this is my go to bait when im in a slump or my emergency tacklebox as some pros like to call it. I would think your go to bait would be what you use all the time. if I were you and had that much success with that bait I would start saying this... "break out the hump and never get a slump."

Thank you for the dimensions Gene. Mine is a good inch longer and a 1/4 inch taller taller. Width and the shape are only things the same. The bib placement on such a short bait is even more curious to me now. What is the action like? I will send you a pm with the addy.

Tater Hog Can't speak for Gene but this Winston Churchill quote came to my mind “We can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have exhausted all the other possibilities.” It is just more fun.