garyo1954

Might Be Of Some Interest

Found this surfing the net for something else.....

http://www.makebetterfishinglures.com/wdnlrs108.pdf

Looks like a decent 53 page guide that answers a lot of questions on building.

Touches on types of lures, why they dive, how they swim, design, tools, materials all the way out to fine tuning.

Figured I'd share the link.

G

All I know is it came up on page two in a search for anatomy of a fishing lure.

I clicked the link it opened. I didn't filch it, steal it, or come by it in any shady means.

And from the link there is nothing indicating it was for sale.

But if Nathan or TU makes this thread disappear, it won't hurt my feelings.

G

fishinglure.jpg

All I know is it came up on page two in a search for anatomy of a fishing lure.

I clicked the link it opened. I didn't filch it, steal it, or come by it in any shady means.

And from the link there is nothing indicating it was for sale.

But if Nathan or TU makes this thread disappear, it won't hurt my feelings.

G

Wasn't implying you did anything dodgy, I came across it (and the plastic one and a few others) the same way. Seems a little niave to me to have your business setup where anyone can just find it and save it like that :?

Steve

My apologies Steve. Should have thought before typing. I was more concerned with how people visiting/passing though would perceive it.

I agree with you. It seems strange that it is listed in the search engines without some type of prpotection or redirect to the main page.

G

I am totally turned off of lure building books less than 40 years old and lure building videos. I paid alot of money for Larry Dahlberg's video on casting only to find out iall the clips have been put up on his website for free.

I read thru the wooden lure link above and also the plastics. The wood lure book is just old information regurgitated. I like how in his ad for building plastic lures he talks about not using any midrange lures because the bass all know what they are. Yet he gives you lure templates????????

Advice to newbies: Save your money and poke around here. Dont be afraid to try something out that you have thought about or want to experiment with. Dont give up on a design with just one failure. Tweak it. Keep in mind that you are one person. Not a team. You need to build, tweak, rebuild, tweak, and keep on going. You will know when you have exhausted a design. Dont be afraid to buy a cheap lure and cut into it to see how it works. All of this can be done for pennies.

Sonny,

Great piece of advice. Guess I have to give you the famed unfinished Golden Mermaid. She's unfinished because they guy sold all his gold to buy stuff to teach him how to finish her.

DSCN5352.jpg

I kid a bit but I am for anything that helps someone get involved in luremaking.

Yes, the collective knowledge and personal experiences we share here is worth many times the price of a book or a video.

True story: My son says, "If that is a golden mermaid, where are her arms?"

I sez, "Who told you mermaids had arms?"

I am totally turned off of lure building books less than 40 years old and lure building videos. I paid alot of money for Larry Dahlberg's video on casting only to find out iall the clips have been put up on his website for free.

I read thru the wooden lure link above and also the plastics. The wood lure book is just old information regurgitated. I like how in his ad for building plastic lures he talks about not using any midrange lures because the bass all know what they are. Yet he gives you lure templates????????

Advice to newbies: Save your money and poke around here. Dont be afraid to try something out that you have thought about or want to experiment with. Dont give up on a design with just one failure. Tweak it. Keep in mind that you are one person. Not a team. You need to build, tweak, rebuild, tweak, and keep on going. You will know when you have exhausted a design. Dont be afraid to buy a cheap lure and cut into it to see how it works. All of this can be done for pennies.

Just wondering about your stat "turned off of lure building books less than 40 years old" , ..........how come that you're seemingly not that fond of more recent issues ?

Nevertheless , ...here my own opinions about some :

I'd be interested in the titles of those older issues , that you are possibly refering to , .......I'm a kinda fan of older lure books as well .

@garyo1954

I've come across this book as well on YouTube or so , .....at least the advertisment for it , ........thanks for linking , anyway , .........nothing bad about it , if you've found it by Google already out in the web .

cheers , diemai :yay:

Diemai

My generalization was probably too broad. I was thinking about lure theory. It hasnt changed much in 40 years. The few books i have run across were all based on techniques for building old style lures. Therefore I felt they were modern regurgitations of old information. Infact, if the author had learned these techniques from reading old books, there is probably going to be a percentage of lost or misunderstood information. I think it better to find where it originally came from so it has the original flavor the author intended.

Keep in mind my above statements were a rant because I am angry that the videos I paid for are all now online for free.

......I was unaware of the existence of the first book you reviewed above and it certainly does look interesting.

I am going to see if it is still available.

Sonny

@ Sonny.Barile

Ok , thanks for setting things straight , .......I can absoluty imagine someone getting a little mad about spending money for something , that is available for free elsewhere , ..sorry !

Guess , you're talking about this one , ....obviously still available :

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Tackle-Making/dp/1558217215

Dunno , if you've ever ordered books at Amazon , .......check out all options by clicking on (amount)"new" or (amount)"used", as prices and conditions do vary depending on selling stores listed there .

good luck , Dieter :yay:

• Like 1

Dieter,

You have an excellent library of lure making! Wow! I started trying to locate them on Amazon and ebay. Ebay postage and handling will eat somebody's lunch buying one from this seller another from another seller and third from a third seller.

You are point on checking the new and used prices. Carl Luckey's Old Fishing Lures and Tackle lists on Amazon at $188 new but $9.99 used.

The Book of Lures looks good for what enjoy doing most which is things like the Chippewa....

DSCN5049.jpg

Occasionally the belly blade binds so he got set aside until I find time to recut the metal frame and blade.

The craziness of summer heat has brought an interest in novelty lures like beer bottles, mermaids, and yeah, even baby bottles.

So I've spent a lot of time working to translate what was originally plastic into wood.

The excellent work you do tells me it's time to buy at least a couple of those books.

Thank you, Dieter!

G

@ garyo1954

Concerning Carl F. Luckey's "Old Fishing Lures And Tackle" , ......this publication seems to be frequently re-newed , updated issues are put out time after time , ....though Mr. Luckey sadly passed away by the time of the launch of that particular issue shown .

Here is another book , that I've purchased recently , so it does not appear in that video of mine :

http://www.amazon.co...p/dp/1865130761

It's an Australian issue , I guess , .......this is the way that most pages are build up , a picture of each lure and a table listing with running depths at different line-outs , manufacturer , etc .

DSCI0004-1.JPG

Nice lure , your Chippewa , .......the twisted metal blade should provide some extra flash to the bait .

I've made a casting spoon like this recently , ......but somehow I'm not satisfied with it's action , spins pretty slow and also does not generate too much disturbance in the water ,....but I finally need to give it a chance , ...who knows ?

But in conjunction with a hardbait body like yours such twisting blade really should stir something up , .....just because of the added flash .

And whether summer heat is on or not , ........you won't believe , what kinda items can be used for(catching) lures , .......I've seen vids of pike caught on a digicam and also a carrot , either a picture of Baltic Sea cod on a simple cigarette lighter rigged with a hook and sinker :lol: .

Greetz , Dieter :yay:

DSCI0004-1.JPG

DSCI0004-1.JPG

DSCI0004-1.JPG

DSCI0004-1.JPG

DSCI0004-1.JPG

DSCI0004-1.JPG

DSCI0004-1.JPG

post-17895-0-78271400-1342121706_thumb.jpg

Dieter,

Ordered 4 from Amazon thinking to save on shipping, but that doesn't work. I still ended up paying shipping on each order.

Ordered

The Book of Lures

Old Fishing Lures and Tackle

Encyclopedia of Lures

Field Guide to Fishing lures.

The Encyclopedia of Lures, by Cliff Harris is the only one that hasn't shipped.

It's been in Shipping Soon status since the 11th.

I may cancel that one and order the The Lure Encyclopedia you just listed.

Another one I looked at is Spring Loaded Fish Hooks, Traps and Lures.

http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Loaded-Hooks-Identification-Values-Collector/dp/1574324705/ref=pd_ys_ir_all_22

The inner working have always fascinated me from the standpoint of being weedless.

The ideas never caught on likely because of a danger of spearing a finger and going home with hook wounds in various parts.

G

@garyo1954

Too bad about multiple shipping fees , ...but as it seems , amazon is not something like a mailorder shop but a kind of agency bringing customers and different vendors together , ...meaning that various items are not shipped from only one location .

I was wondering about that Australian book , .......I had ordered it thru the US amazon site and payed in Dollars , .......but later I've found that the envelope was packed and sent from Germany .

If I would have ordered from the German amazon site , I would have had to pay about 50% to 70% more after currency exchange to local vendors , .........mysterious ways of business to me :lol: !

This book about spring-loaded fishing items looks very interesting , .......thanks for the link !

Can't buy it right now ,........ just returned from north Germany's largest tackleshop this afternoon , ....the missus seems to be a little upset about the bill I ran up , .......she won't show , .......but I know she is :lol: !

Greetz , Dieter :yay:

Edited by diemai

..the missus seems to be a little upset about the bill I ran up , .......she won't show , .......but I know she is :lol:

Hahaha!! I'm sure she'll forgive you once you tie some of the new stuff on her line!

A friend once told me, long ago, "If you play golf, you've lied to your wife"

For fishermen it's probably "If you fish, you've spent too much on tackle".

Seems like we're all in the same boat.

It's like Jerry Clower said about getting a new coon dog. "Some times you just have to hide them in the pack with the rest of the dogs"

LMAO! Love that Glenn.

Diemai, received Old Fishing Lures and Tackle yesterday. I'm impressed. It came in a day early and in much better condition than I thought. I didn't order new and was feared going low end. Received a library book that had been pulled with the note, "Cover in bad shape."

Pages 349 -351 discuss the Immell Chippewa and show the patent drawings. Has me thinking mine needs the side rails epoxied in place first. Then cut a metal insert running the length of the body which allows thru wire. I'm going to give this more thought.

It also shows the possible addition of a jointed tail.

Too many ideas in this book!

And before I jump off on those I need to get some painting done.

G

@ mark poulson

Mark , actually I have only bought one lure there , a "Rapala MaxRap17" , ....looks like these are the real deal for bank fishing for pike in shallower waters , ....these "MaxRaps" just cast unbelievable far , .......my wife only got herself some disc sinkers and a bigger bubble float for her own stationary fishing .

What I really came there for was a new chair for fishing , ....need something special and most comfortable for my sore bones , ...so I went to test all of their chairs before making a choice , .......these so-called carp chairs are just a lot more convinient , sturdy and versatile compared to the odd collapsible chairs from supermarket sales , ....but certainly they cost multiple times more .

Also got myself a new fishing vest , my old one was already slowly decaying on my body :lol: !

For such bigger items it's well worth the 45 miles ride from home , they simpy have the biggest choice and prices around , ......on special sales events the folks even come from approx. 200 miles vicinity , as one can tell by their car license plates on the parking lot .

@ garyo1954

Glad to hear that you've fetched a well preserved issue , .......looks like you're very fond of that book :D !

I surely can imagine someone to be thumbing thru time and time again , ...just so many great oldtime lures to discover and possibly make own versions of these , .......been there , done that !

Hope you're coming up with some practical solutions for your "Chippewa" now , ..the seed is sown :lol: !

Greetz , Dieter

Edited by diemai

There's many good books out there, but you have to look hard, lol. Ive talked with Diemai and Jawjacker before about having lure books we can't read. Its like being a kindergartner with a picture book (or an adult with a Playboy). Ive lot's of very instructional books, but you are right, many ebooks are just recycled junk. I know one of the luremaing ebooks is just a scan of a vintage book....

Wobbler is a good book, but only in Dutch and German last I checked. The aussie book mentioned is great, but the 500 lures is the world edition, there is an Aussie edition with over a thousand lures tested, which unfortunately I don't have in my collection. Lures in Depth is same book, but earlier edition with fewer lures. An Aussie book I love is the Book of Lures by Ron Calcutt and Tim Simpson. Knowing Bass by Jones can give you a ton of info, As well as Colin Kayegemas book, and also Joe Buchers Crankbaits book. Many of my "unreadable books are from Japan, Incuding the original minnow making, as well as handmade lure making 1 and 2, cranker, a series on handmade lures, even the lure book 1 and 2 let you know some cutting edge products. I've a Balsa 50 luremaking book, and there is a couple of luremaking dvds from Japan that I havent found copies of yet.

I know of an Italian luremaking book, as well as at least one Finn one that I havent been able to get ahold of...

But yes, TU and search go a long way if you are willing!

Craig

Edited by clemmy

Ahh, My Bad..

I hadn't even looked at what ebook that was mentioned. The one linked is by Greg Vinall. Nice enough bloke, was a member here back about 9-10 years ago and was helpful with information as I recall...I think he was with us on TM as well. His info has some very well researched points, that yes, the diehards might know, but for the rest may only be trial and error to find out. Only thing is hes an Aussie. I love Aussie lures and have imported some like Peter Newells, Brent Chapmans, Knols, etc. But they are slightly different fish! Seems more Walleye type than Bass IMHO. Perhaps Pete will chime in...

Craig