Mickstix

Stubborn Tiptop On Loomis Imx 844c

Hey all, I've got a Loomis IMX 844c (original, no repairs) and the tiptop won't stay put.. I used it forever throwing senkos and spinnerbaits, but recently started using it for flip/pitch 3/8-1/2oz t-rigs.. 30lb braid.. Anyway, aftere a couple trips the tip came loose (was cocked around backwards) so I removed it and put it back on with some "Laker Rod Cement" (guide glue) by following the directions on the label.. That lasted 1 trip.. Next I did it a little different. I heated the bare tip of the rod, removed excess glue, scuffed with a scotchbright, cleaned with acetone, shaved off small slices of the glue stick (Laker once again) and shoved them into the tiptop barrel, heated the barrel until glue went soft, reinstalled it and cleaned the access that came from both ends of the tiptop.. 1 more trip to the river and it's once again loose.. Does anyone have any ideas on solving this? Im thinkn' of using Devcon 2ton the next time, but wonder how that'll work out if I ever need to replace the tip again? Can you get a tip off, after it's been epoxied on? Or is there a better solution to my problem?? Thanks for any help! Mick

Edited by Mickstix

I use 5 minmute epoxy all the time for tip tops. Works great and comes off easily with heat. I don't think I have ever had one come loose on its own if I took the time to remove all the plastic hot glue stick mess or glue from previous mounting and repairs.

After I have the old tip top off I gentley heat the tip of the rod to soften any old glue (DO NOT OVERHEAT AS YOU CAN DAMAGE THE ROD) and then I grab it hard with a rag and wipe all the old glue off.