u63405

hook size and type

Thanks Nathan!

The reason I was asking was because yesterday I went out to the local pond and tested the crawfish lure and I had three sold hits on the bait but for some reason I wasn't able to hook any of 'em. I even had what seemed like a monster fish, take the bait, swim off with it and was stripping line, but as i tried to set the hook it came up empty. I think the problem was the hooks I used (mustad triple grip treble hooks - 8 size). is my assumption correct? also i've switched to gamakatsu round bend treble hook size 8. would these be more effective?

My experience with the triple grips are that they hold a fish better, but hook less fish...

As to size of hooks, several things to consider..the wider the hook the better for hooking, but the more problems you'll have snagging..I generally want a hook just barely wider than my bait if I'm fishing cover...If the lure is going to be used over riprap/rock/open water, I'll go a size bigger to improve my hookup percentage. Of course changing hook sizes also affect weight, which affects lure action, so it's all a trade-off.

Hope this helps,

Clemmy

Thanks Nathan!

The reason I was asking was because yesterday I went out to the local pond and tested the crawfish lure and I had three sold hits on the bait but for some reason I wasn't able to hook any of 'em. I even had what seemed like a monster fish' date=' take the bait, swim off with it and was stripping line, but as i tried to set the hook it came up empty. I think the problem was the hooks I used (mustad triple grip treble hooks - 8 size). is my assumption correct? also i've switched to gamakatsu round bend treble hook size 8. would these be more effective?[/quote']

Never underestimate the usefullness of a hook file. :rolleyes: Seriously, if your lure performed well in it's current configuration, changing it's chemistry might not be the most prudent choice. Try sharpening those hooks first. JMHO.

Husky,

that's probably something that's been at the back of my mind since my delimma. But for some reason I wanted it to be more complicated than just simply sharpening the hooks! hell, I 'll try all of the advice that I've received. If anything, I'll learn from my experiences! Thanks.

What a great question. My lures are all 2"'s or less and I never go with the bigger hooks, I've always found it's the sharpness of the hook that allows the catch as opposed to the size of the hook for smaller lures. (But of course if I'm going for a larger fish I'll use a larger hook.)

The largest I use currently is a 6 or 8 for Pike but I usually stick to a 10 or 12 tri. Most people seem to think I'm using way too small but anything larger changes the action of the lure.

My two cents ( which is equal to 1.50 American)

DeVery

If its a CRAWFISH lure as you say then I'd stay with a #6 or #4 for that size lure. I agree with thoes who say your hooks need sharpened! The ole test >>>drag the hooh point accross your fingernail and it should dig in without forcing it.Doesen't matter how new it is. Now if your fish are over 14" in lenth then you might want to go up to a #4 hook.Under that stay with a #6. The bigger the hook the bigger the loss of action possibilities with the lure. My guess is that your talking a hard plastic crawfish. Cause soft lures > I'll go with BIGGER HOOKS. Its a diffrent type of action.