smalljaw

Thread Help

Hey guys, I post in the wire baits section mostly but I have developed a problem I never encountered before. I've been pouring spinnerbait heads and jig heads for a long time and for quite a few years I would make jigs and in the winter I would tie bucktails and make rabbit hair jigs as well, I never had a problem with the thread until today, it seperated, I use ultra thread 210, and never saw anything like this. It only happened for a bit, I was able to just make a few more wraps and it went back but I'd like to know if anyone had this happen or does anyone know what caused it to happen, thanks.

Sometimes my UTC and Danvile threads will behave as you describe. In the past when looking closely my guess was either a manufacturing defect or burrs in the bobbin. Since I went to ceramic bobbins the problem occurs about 80% less often. Since I get my threads from many different sources, and rayon deteriorates in the air and sun, maybe the 20% of my current breakages are due to my suppliers. Maybe I should buy by the gross (12 wrapped airtight boxes) from one trusted vendor<lol>. Maybe I should sand out my bobbin?

Sorry I could not help you. Good luck and post if you find out what is causing your problem.

Go fish and good luck!

I make heavy saltwater flies and jigs, but it would work for others.

I use braid fishing line. A 20# test only has the diameter of 4 lb test mono. I've never had one break.

Also; the advice on checking your bobbin is good. It can cause many mysterious thread breakages.

I use used fishing line. Just wash it to remove any impurities. JMHO C2