- - - - -

Hooks Of The Month.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gangel

Gangel
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

Ok.... here's a thought I've had for a couple months now.... I think I saw something about this earlier, I'm not sure.

Hooks of the month club.

Now, before you get all "That's dumb", lets look at this.

There are a gabillion different hooks out there (ok, I exagerate, but you get the jist of it). I like to see a hook, touch it, feel it.

I saw a book this weekend. A homemade hook book. I fell in love. 60 years of hooks in this book. Just about every size, make, color...

I, therefore, would like to do a hooks of the month. Say, for instance, the Eagle Claw 570. On a nice card or page.... either all sizes of one color of 570's.

I was thinking of index cards for this. One style, one color.

Card would be typed up. Attachment of the hooks I question. I'd like to be able to remove a hook to test/try it.

Maybe I'm just partial to this book. I don't know. Even at hooks of the month, it would take a while to get them all. Maybe a few, maybe hooks a week? But I'm thinking at 2 bucks a card, it wouldn't be much. And it could be set up to have an auto ship, or yes or no ship. Some people wouldn't want all jig hooks, some people wouldn't want fly hooks.

I bought size 24 hooks. Just because they were so darn purdy.

Also, where would I post sinker questions?

#2 bassrecord

bassrecord

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:47 AM

Hook of the Month? What is your selection criteria? Touchy, feely, purdy won't work because one angler's touchy, feely, purdy is not = to another angler's touchy, feely, purdy.

Or say tournament angler #1 is paid big bucks by hook manufacturer A, and tournament angler #2 is paid big bucks by hook manufacturer B and most TUers like tournament angler #1, so is hook A voted as hook of the month?

It might be difficult to select the hook of the month.

#3 Gangel

Gangel
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:30 AM

It isn't so much what you have to use... it's what you'd like to use. For instance... I'd like to make a few spinner baits. I've got different length wires.... I'm not sure which hook I'd like to use with what wire and weight. If I had a handy dandy card with Mustad hooks, nickel finish, straight, aberdeen bend (whatever the number is for that) I could eyeball a 3/0, 4/0, 5/0. Maybe I'm making a dark finish skirt/lead combo on it, maybe I'd like to try a bronze hook, or a black chrome. Now, I could order all these right out the gate and try them. But I've got guys asking what it would look like. I'd like to know what it'd look like.

I guess you'd have to see the book to understand. It's a weird feeling looking at it.

#4 Kasilofchrisn

Kasilofchrisn

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

There are so many species of fish and so many different hook choices it would be difficult to please a large group of people.
Maybe if you had them species specific. Say a year of bass hooks and then a year of crappie hooks etc.
I fish Salmon and saltwater species here in Alaska. I doubt a 20/0 circle hook would interest you but would certainly interest me.
The smallest jig I make is 3.5oz and the biggest is over 40 oz. many members here would never need the jig hooks I use or the jigs for that matter.
As for the sinker question I would try the wire baits forum thats where most of us lead jig/sinker makers hang out.

#5 Gangel

Gangel
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

Actually, I am "weird" enough to want to see/hold/have a 20/0 Circle. We got big muskies here. You never know when someone would request something off the wall like that.

#6 Kasilofchrisn

Kasilofchrisn

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Actually, I am "weird" enough to want to see/hold/have a 20/0 Circle. We got big muskies here. You never know when someone would request something off the wall like that.

Is the 20/0 circle hook worth $12 or more just for you to hold? Some of these hooks arent cheap.
I seriously doubt you would ever need a hook like that for muskie fishing.
Maybe a 12/0 or so but 20/0 is pretty big made for 100#+ Halibut.
I guess my point is I believe you would have to market it for people in your area and species in your area.
Or for a specific species and area.
I think it would be cool though to have a hook display with as many styles shapes and sizes of hooks as one could get. Rather than get one a month you could send out a chain letter requesting 1 hook from people and to include the info on what the hook is. Then put them together as some sort of display.

#7 Gangel

Gangel
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

Actually, I would pay that much money to see a 20/0 hook. I bought the bag of 24's I'll never use just because they were so tiny. 12 bucks a hook isn't that big of a deal. In a case like that, it'd be narrowed down to one hook a month, instead of the full series. The chain letter thing sounds good... but I've got no guarantees I'm getting what they say it is. The only way I figured something like this would work is with a base of 50 people. Order a 100 of each hook in a series, Average of 20 hooks per series... average of nickel per hook, I ain't gonna make any money at this. But it's hard for me to justify buying a hundred or 500 hooks just for one hook. Esp. if I find out after buying they don't fit my molds or future needs.

#8 bassrecord

bassrecord

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:52 AM

It is not clear what Homemade hook book means.

Was this a homemade book about hooks that somebody assembled and printed? Is it for sale?
or
Was this a book about different hooks somebody had hand made at home? Some guys are making hooks this way for tying classic salmon flies.

Just wondering.
John

#9 Gangel

Gangel
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:02 AM

Actually, this was a book with actual hooks in it. If you told the guy you wanted a Eagle Claw 570, I forget the colors/letters, in the red series, in a #3, he would page through the book and show you the actual hook. Not a picture, but the actual hook pulled from stock over the years. I'm pretty sure others from here have seen it. I would kind of like others from here to admit it.

#10 Musky Glenn

Musky Glenn

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

I don't know how I have missed the "hook book", I sure am old enough to have seen it, but haven't. I would like to have one of those 20/0 hooks and one of those two foot long rubber worms you used to see hanging in tackle shops. I would have it rigged up on well rope and tied on a broom stick rod, just to haul down the interstate. Musky Glenn

#11 Gangel

Gangel
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:59 AM

At this point, I'm just gonna make my own book. I tend to do things differently, and I have a bad habit of not being able to describe something correctly. I've missed out on a few "next big things" because of this. Oh well, it will just take me a bit longer to make it. Good things come to those who wait.