Guest Gangel

Hooks Of The Month.

Guest Gangel

Ok.... here's a thought I've had for a couple months now.... I think I saw something about this earlier, I'm not sure.

Hooks of the month club.

Now, before you get all "That's dumb", lets look at this.

There are a gabillion different hooks out there (ok, I exagerate, but you get the jist of it). I like to see a hook, touch it, feel it.

I saw a book this weekend. A homemade hook book. I fell in love. 60 years of hooks in this book. Just about every size, make, color...

I, therefore, would like to do a hooks of the month. Say, for instance, the Eagle Claw 570. On a nice card or page.... either all sizes of one color of 570's.

I was thinking of index cards for this. One style, one color.

Card would be typed up. Attachment of the hooks I question. I'd like to be able to remove a hook to test/try it.

Maybe I'm just partial to this book. I don't know. Even at hooks of the month, it would take a while to get them all. Maybe a few, maybe hooks a week? But I'm thinking at 2 bucks a card, it wouldn't be much. And it could be set up to have an auto ship, or yes or no ship. Some people wouldn't want all jig hooks, some people wouldn't want fly hooks.

I bought size 24 hooks. Just because they were so darn purdy.

Also, where would I post sinker questions?

Hook of the Month? What is your selection criteria? Touchy, feely, purdy won't work because one angler's touchy, feely, purdy is not = to another angler's touchy, feely, purdy.

Or say tournament angler #1 is paid big bucks by hook manufacturer A, and tournament angler #2 is paid big bucks by hook manufacturer B and most TUers like tournament angler #1, so is hook A voted as hook of the month?

It might be difficult to select the hook of the month.

Guest Gangel

It isn't so much what you have to use... it's what you'd like to use. For instance... I'd like to make a few spinner baits. I've got different length wires.... I'm not sure which hook I'd like to use with what wire and weight. If I had a handy dandy card with Mustad hooks, nickel finish, straight, aberdeen bend (whatever the number is for that) I could eyeball a 3/0, 4/0, 5/0. Maybe I'm making a dark finish skirt/lead combo on it, maybe I'd like to try a bronze hook, or a black chrome. Now, I could order all these right out the gate and try them. But I've got guys asking what it would look like. I'd like to know what it'd look like.

I guess you'd have to see the book to understand. It's a weird feeling looking at it.

There are so many species of fish and so many different hook choices it would be difficult to please a large group of people.

Maybe if you had them species specific. Say a year of bass hooks and then a year of crappie hooks etc.

I fish Salmon and saltwater species here in Alaska. I doubt a 20/0 circle hook would interest you but would certainly interest me.

The smallest jig I make is 3.5oz and the biggest is over 40 oz. many members here would never need the jig hooks I use or the jigs for that matter.

As for the sinker question I would try the wire baits forum thats where most of us lead jig/sinker makers hang out.

Guest Gangel

Actually, I am "weird" enough to want to see/hold/have a 20/0 Circle. We got big muskies here. You never know when someone would request something off the wall like that.

Actually, I am "weird" enough to want to see/hold/have a 20/0 Circle. We got big muskies here. You never know when someone would request something off the wall like that.

Is the 20/0 circle hook worth $12 or more just for you to hold? Some of these hooks arent cheap.

I seriously doubt you would ever need a hook like that for muskie fishing.

Maybe a 12/0 or so but 20/0 is pretty big made for 100#+ Halibut.

I guess my point is I believe you would have to market it for people in your area and species in your area.

Or for a specific species and area.

I think it would be cool though to have a hook display with as many styles shapes and sizes of hooks as one could get. Rather than get one a month you could send out a chain letter requesting 1 hook from people and to include the info on what the hook is. Then put them together as some sort of display.

Guest Gangel

Actually, I would pay that much money to see a 20/0 hook. I bought the bag of 24's I'll never use just because they were so tiny. 12 bucks a hook isn't that big of a deal. In a case like that, it'd be narrowed down to one hook a month, instead of the full series. The chain letter thing sounds good... but I've got no guarantees I'm getting what they say it is. The only way I figured something like this would work is with a base of 50 people. Order a 100 of each hook in a series, Average of 20 hooks per series... average of nickel per hook, I ain't gonna make any money at this. But it's hard for me to justify buying a hundred or 500 hooks just for one hook. Esp. if I find out after buying they don't fit my molds or future needs.

It is not clear what Homemade hook book means.

Was this a homemade book about hooks that somebody assembled and printed? Is it for sale?

or

Was this a book about different hooks somebody had hand made at home? Some guys are making hooks this way for tying classic salmon flies.

Just wondering.

John

Guest Gangel

Actually, this was a book with actual hooks in it. If you told the guy you wanted a Eagle Claw 570, I forget the colors/letters, in the red series, in a #3, he would page through the book and show you the actual hook. Not a picture, but the actual hook pulled from stock over the years. I'm pretty sure others from here have seen it. I would kind of like others from here to admit it.

I don't know how I have missed the "hook book", I sure am old enough to have seen it, but haven't. I would like to have one of those 20/0 hooks and one of those two foot long rubber worms you used to see hanging in tackle shops. I would have it rigged up on well rope and tied on a broom stick rod, just to haul down the interstate. Musky Glenn

Guest Gangel

At this point, I'm just gonna make my own book. I tend to do things differently, and I have a bad habit of not being able to describe something correctly. I've missed out on a few "next big things" because of this. Oh well, it will just take me a bit longer to make it. Good things come to those who wait.