bluetickhound

Thermachromic Paint... Imagine The Possibilities!

I hadn't heard of it but Googled it. The color change is usually whatever color to transparent and it changes at a specific temperature (86F in this cite - http://www.paintwithpearl.com/temperature_change.htm

It also says that it is damaged by UV light so must be clearcoated with a UV filtering topcoat - which ain't cheap.

Bottom line, I think it would have very limited application to crankbaits. Unfortunately.

Along with what Bob said the medium your going to be throwing your lures into is water. Any change would be relegated to water above 86 degrees which would limit their use to certain times of the year and probably very shallow water.

just my :twocents:

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

Chips of real easy if it gets whacked up against something with sharp edges . Don't stick to lead worth a darn . It was given to me by a model painter so I have no idea if I applied it properly or if epoxy coating it would work . Couldn't see where it was an advantage in the water . Best thing to do is hang a lure from you truck mirror . Does a lot of chsnges there .

Yeah... I can see where it would have very limited (if any) use for lure making right now but the concept is pretty cool and worth keeping an eye on... If it ever gets to the point where they can vary the temperature at which the paint changes color it (and lower the cost, and make it UV tolerant, and, and, and....) i could see this technology being very useful.

Edited by bluetickhound

I have a concept of a lure painted with a coating that when a voltage is applied to it that it changes color. I think it could be done...similar to a squid with chromatophores. Temperature stuff is neat though too. Wonder if it could be combined.