J lure

Usa Manufacturing

After visiting Icast today and seeing the majority of company's with lack of creative designs and no original products. This got me thinking about that I can do this but even better! I know there has to be some USA manufactures that I can't work with or that can work with me. My question for does anyone know of any sources or sites to find USA manufactures but not just for soft plastics but hard plastic too and all sorts.

They are out there. You have to understand one thing about showing something at Icast, it is the first place you WILL get your design copied. There are alot of people just cruising looking for the next thing to knock off. Happens all the time. Us manufactures are out there just have to look. Most seem like it is just easier to get it from overseas. The people from this board are of a differant breed, we will make something come to life. Most new people that dont have a desire to create with there hands. They think I came up with the idea let some one else make it. I talked to quite a few companys that dont offer soft baits and the majority of them though it needed to be made over seas. I educated them a bit and let them know there was another options out there. I actually got one to bit and will be talking to them this coming week. A magical company is not out there but there are some out there. You just have to work on it.Be real carefull who you give your ideas to also, very carefull.

Edited by Frank
  • Like 3

The overseas crew watch this site . That is why a lot and I mean a lot of things aren't posted any more . When I first started on TU there was someting new poped up every few hours . If you want to get a look at most of our copied lures go to Alibaba.com You'll get an education .

• Like 3

I have learned what this topic speaks about THE HARD WAY!!! Hopefully, I've learned. Signed agreements aren't protection, most don't have the resources, time to fight a bigger corp. If nothing else, they'll 'out lawyer" you. How much does a company have to change a bait b/4 it's not stealing a design, 12-15%??? Had some "friends" that were in China trying to develop a bait for me...guess they thought, I dunno, that Memphis was part of China!!!

Aren't many that will stick to their word, but as the man said, there are a few!!!

Best thing to do, if u can, is to have your own molds built and launch it yourself.

Yea that looks like the way I HAVE to go. I just need to find some different hobby machines to buy and experiment with other that the soft plastic stuff I currently I have. Anyone ever use a hobby abs plastic injection machine for different types of hard plastics? Also is there any hobby hook making machines?

The overseas crew watch this site . That is why a lot and I mean a lot of things aren't posted any more . When I first started on TU there was someting new poped up every few hours . If you want to get a look at most of our copied lures go to Alibaba.com You'll get an education .

This is exactly right. This is why I dont go indepth anymore publically. I've had this happen to me. I will give out the basics, but I do not get into the details. I have too much money and time invested to give away "free" advice

Edited by Gloomisman

With all due respect, equipment is the least of your worries at this point. You could have the hottest new bait on the market but you still need to get it in front of people and that takes money and patients.

As for equipment, you'll get there but if your like most people you need to start small and let sales drive the need for new equipment, while hopefully bringing in the capital needed to buy that equipment.

Having unique designs is all the more reason to do it yourself, that way you won't get copied by someone who has the money to market YOUR unique design before you do.

• Like 1

Listen to Xfactor on this one, he's absolutley right the plastic market is wide open for the next new big thing, and even after the patents there will still be knock offs. Look at one of the last big baits, the sweet beaver(which is a patented bait) there are so many different versions of that bait in every way, shape, and form you can think of. Then you've got to keep in mind the cost of defending that patent, can you imagine Reaction's legal fees if they tried to sue every company that has tried to knock them off in some way or another?

The other way that people cash in from new designs is that they take into considoration that it usually takes a big company 6 to 12 months to get the production mold made and do packaging, marketing, and so on. some companies instead of having patents and defending patents take the 6 to 12 month period to flood the market with the product, establishing a primary customer base with the ability to supply the demand no matter how big or small. Take Yamamoto's sinko for instance, there are a million stickbaits on the market now but there are those people that are going to throw yamamoto's and no one else's, keep in mind that this method is a huge gamble mainly because you're never sure how much product you will need, demand is very difficult to predict.

Then you will have to consider marketing which is super super expensive, for example a 1/6 of a page ad in one of the most popular B.A.S.S. magazines i think is running in the neighboor hood of around 9000 bucks a month, even the very small ads are very expensive. some companies will be honest enough to tell you they cant be sure exactly how much business those bring in, word of mouth will always be your best marketing tool.

then you've got your production mold cost

then you do your production cost analysis

then you think do i have time to do my own production and market my product too?

then you start thinking about production equipment

Edited by carolinamike

I agree with you guys and appreciate the advice. I wasn't looking for mass production tools and equipment yet, I'm still far from that. I wanted to know what tools and equipment should I have for prototyping and to tinker with. I have my custom mold and presto pot Injection set up and rtv and supplies. What other hobby and table top set ups should I have to prototype and tinker with for other types of material and hard plastic baits?