bowfin68

cuts for plows

:?: What is the most effective method and tool, for making cuts in your wooden lure body for plow placement? I used a dremil skil saw on my first lure. I got lucky and it was centered perfectly, but it was because it was a fat wide body. I am working on a long slender body this time, and I can tell the dremil will not work.

:P Splash, Skeeter and Muskie1,

Thanks for the tips. I put my lure on the table saw and I got a great cut. l have been carving my lures from actual Lake Champlain drift wood, so I start with a log, and whittle it down with a buck knife. I then finish it with a wood rasp and then sand. Making my cuts first may be difficult using a round piece, but I can give it a shot. I typically do it last, but I'm left handed so I do everything backwards anyhow. lol. Will post some pics for you guys when I'm done! Thanks again.

Years ago, I carved a lot of duck decoys, the wood of choice was cypress root. It also was odd shaped, but if you cut just one flat side on a band saw it will give you more control to keep things lined up straight. This will also give you a flat surface to place on the table saw to make your cut. Joe

If you're trying to make a lip slot in a round piece, here's a little tip...

1. Make yourself a 'V' block from a piece of 2 x 4 x 12" long scrap. Make 2 45 degree cuts along the length (3 1/2" wide part) of the board and then a single 90 degree cut along the intersection of the 'V' cuts.

2. Place your round stock in the V block and then using a miter gauge (and the V block) cut through the V block and your round stock to make the lip slot.

Let me know if it doesn't make sense.

A local saw mill I deal with has developed an interesting way to be able to rip small logs square on a band saw. The develped a tool to hold the log very well and use the slot to guide it through to rip it into what ever thickness you desire. It handles any size, up to a certain point I imagine, and handles uneven diameters.They gave me a demonstration using a hard wood and it sliced it off beautifully. Would work even easier on soft woods. If anyone has interest let me know I'll pick up a flyer they have next time I'm out there and scan it.