MonteSS

Floating

So I got some white Microballons. Added two heaping tablespoons to 4 oz plastic. Needed ALOT of black to counteract the white MB.

I poured 6" round trick worms and even with a light wire 1/0 EWG hook it sank slowly.

So no good as a true floating worm but the tail does stand up on a shackey head, texas, or drop shot.

...Bill

I don't remember the exact amount, but I ended up using 4 times the recommended amount of micro spheres and it still wouldn't float a 4" frog with a 5/0 hook. Besides that, that stuff is very dangerous and a PIA to use. It is almost lighter than air. No fans, no moving air, no sneezing.......reminds me of an old Woody Allen movie 8O You should be wearing a respirator when using it. They are glass spheres which you don't want to inhale. Never tried the liquid stuff but any worm will want to float toward the surface is you don't use salt.

I think that one reason micro bubbles don't work well is because of heat expansion. If your plastic gets too hot I personly think that the bubbles burst. In those micro hollow spheres that air has to expand and go somewhere. The softer the plastic the better it floats. I've used lure craft's super soft to make a 10" finese worm and it would float a 2/0 gamagatsu hook with no bubbles at all, when the water tension would break it would sink very very slowly.

Saugerman,

did it float to the surface w/ a hook in it?

neat stuff,, but i do not think it will work in a finesse mold, it will be to fat..

if I read it rite, its $ 1.00 per foot + shipping.

Looks like he used 2 pc. @ apx. 1.5 " long each in the toad.

so i am guessing he put 30 cents worth in 1 bait..

what do you guys think ??

Edited by Bass-Boys

I was going to ask about the popper worm. I haven't seen one, but it was described to me is a big fat floating worm with a cup around the middle that sprayed water everywhere when it was jerked.

Obviously Siezmic has got the floating figured out with their "High Floater" frogs too.

Anyway, some people have obviously gotten the floating palstic figured out.

The temperature causing the ballons to pop makes sense I suppose... I'll have to do some experiments with running the plastic right on the edge of too cold to shoot and see. Porbably have to keep it in a hot cup rather than remicrowaving it to see how it does.

I was going to ask about the popper worm. I haven't seen one, but it was described to me is a big fat floating worm with a cup around the middle that sprayed water everywhere when it was jerked.

Obviously Siezmic has got the floating figured out with their "High Floater" frogs too.

Anyway, some people have obviously gotten the floating palstic figured out.

The temperature causing the ballons to pop makes sense I suppose... I'll have to do some experiments with running the plastic right on the edge of too cold to shoot and see. Porbably have to keep it in a hot cup rather than remicrowaving it to see how it does.

Popper worm is very easy to pour. Take a stick mold(not injection) pour the bait filling the spru to the top. Do not top off the spru and as the plastic cools and contracts it will form the popper mouth. And that's the name of that tune; lol.

Oh yah; no salt.

www.novalures.com

We need someone from the forum to infultrate Zoom Bait Co and get the secret they use for their floating worms. If possible......... bring back a couple thousand gallons of the floating plastic and divide it out amoungst us, lol.

I've read the forums about those glass bubbles. Does lurecraft sell that for floating plastics? If I have too, I'll buy some white floating worms from Zoom and melt them down to help make my own floating snakes. I know it's desperate, BUT - For now, I do not care about saving money to get my snakes made. At lease until I find a good and safe product to use for making floating plastic baits.

It may sound simple, but since you're doing a white bait, why dont you just incorperate air into your plastic? If you stir and fold you should get air bubbles in your plastisol, just be sure to keep in mind all saftey precautions. Some people get alot of micro bubbles using Lure Works's plastisol when heated in a microwave, you can always keep some on hand just to do floating worms.