widowmaker1

Short Arm Spinnerbait

I'll help you with the head but when it comes to wire dimensions and angles you are going to have to sort that out yourself as every short arm spinnerbait I've come across, including my own, have all been different in wire lengths on the blade arm and the angle from the head. Short arm spinnerbaits I consider a drop bait, I made a lot for guys that like to use them to fish bluff banks and the best commercial one is the Stan Sloan Zorro but there are other good ones as well. Get the tear drop spinnerbait mold from Do-it, this will make a great short arm head as it has most of its weight out front which makes it fall nose down more than any other head design. The blade arm length depends on how much wire you need to make your swivel loop, on my 1/2oz short arm bait I make the blade arm 2" in length and when I make my loop it leaves me with a blade arm of 1-5/8", I also shorten the body shaft 1/2", it isn't much but it does help to stabilize the bait a bit on retrieve since these usually use big colorado blades so anything other than a super slow retrieve and it will roll on its side. If you are confused the best way to approach it is to get some prebent wire forms and cut them down and see what works for you and then when you get it to where you want it make a measurement. I use a piece of mono to measure the wire form, just lay the wire form down and run the mono over the r-bend back to the hook bend and when you are finished just measure the mono and then you know how much wire to cut from your coil or shaft which ever you use.

smalljaw always has some good answers. Don't go nuts with different wire sizes. Purcase your most comon size and cut them down. Both sides of the bend. Rebend the loop for the hook. Once you have the size down leave it in a plastic bag as a template to copy. Also use a shorter hook. I use mustad 32608 for large frame baits and a mustad 32606 for small profile or short arm spinnerbaits. Let us know how you make out. You can always take your favorite short arm spinnerbait melt the lead off with a tourch and have a perfect template to work with. It's not a burger king drive threw it will take some time to get it right.

On 7/30/2012 at 9:32 AM, smalljaw said:

I'll help you with the head but when it comes to wire dimensions and angles you are going to have to sort that out yourself as every short arm spinnerbait I've come across, including my own, have all been different in wire lengths on the blade arm and the angle from the head. Short arm spinnerbaits I consider a drop bait, I made a lot for guys that like to use them to fish bluff banks and the best commercial one is the Stan Sloan Zorro but there are other good ones as well. Get the tear drop spinnerbait mold from Do-it, this will make a great short arm head as it has most of its weight out front which makes it fall nose down more than any other head design. The blade arm length depends on how much wire you need to make your swivel loop, on my 1/2oz short arm bait I make the blade arm 2" in length and when I make my loop it leaves me with a blade arm of 1-5/8", I also shorten the body shaft 1/2", it isn't much but it does help to stabilize the bait a bit on retrieve since these usually use big colorado blades so anything other than a super slow retrieve and it will roll on its side. If you are confused the best way to approach it is to get some prebent wire forms and cut them down and see what works for you and then when you get it to where you want it make a measurement. I use a piece of mono to measure the wire form, just lay the wire form down and run the mono over the r-bend back to the hook bend and when you are finished just measure the mono and then you know how much wire to cut from your coil or shaft which ever you use.

I've found that by "extending" the length of the head/hook shaft that it adds stability to the short-term single spins.  Similar in design to the Zorros or the old Bass Buster Scorpions, if you remember them. It gives the weight of the head more leverage.to keep it from wanting to rotate up and around the point of line tie.  ??

i am a fan of short arm spinners and compact spinners. trial and error is the best way to figure out what you want.

what flippinfool said is good advice. buy your regular wire and cut down each end of the shaft to your liking.