garyo1954

Don't Know Where This Is Going

But I'm anxious to see if it works.

DSCN5665.jpg

Removed the Z axis, drew up an idea based on some videos of duplicating carvers and this is what you get. LOL

Or this is what I got anyway.

Not sure what I like and don't at this point. Wanted to make the frame 12" but using 1 1/2" angle for the sides takes 3" of play from the center. Not good. Just modded it with wood for the time being.

Dremel cable is stiff. Night have to rework that idea.

Want to get rid of the 1/4" plexiglass too. The trick is to keep as much side to side movement as possible. At least that is what I hope to do.

Hope to do a test run today or tomorrow.

G

Time to rethink again.

DSCN5677.jpg

Rebuilt the dremel support. But the cable is too stiff IMHO.

Might add springs to the arms to prevent the cutter from digging in, but that's a minor problem.

It does cut. It does follow a pattern.

Will rebuild the round bar using a trim router and add springs.

Then we try again.

G

• Like 1

Just my $.02 worth, but the burn marks on the soft pine wood makes me think that the bit is on the dull side. I would probably cut the wood a little closer to size before putting in to the router.

I congratulate you on working the bugs out. That machine can come in very handy. Musky Glenn

• Like 1

Ben, you are absolutely right. That is 3/16 rod and 1/4 bit. So that is part of the problem right there!

Have to work on a good stylus. Screwdrivers and threaded rod seem to be the easiest solution.

Glen, you hit the nail on the head. They may have dug that bit up in Egypt. LOL

There has got to be a way to hang the dremel to keep the cable flexible but not in the way.

Need to give these some thought. And get back to it.

This morning I had VA bloodwork. They have taken at least 100 red, pink, green, orange, and purple vials of my type A+.

Next year I want a gold vial!

And those urine sample cups keep getting smaller.

I put in a request to p*e in the centrifuge next time.

That should save everybody a headache.

Thanks for the comments! I'll settle down and work these out.

G

You might try getting a ball shaped cutter Gary. Seems like that would work best where you were trying to cut multiple edges with multiple angles. You also might try hanging the cord to your Dremel tool so that is was hanging straight down and supported by a spring above your work. You shouldn't need a lot of "up and down" movement to make the cuts on a lure sized piece and it should move more freely without a lot of slack in your cable. Seems to me the more slack you have the more mass your trying to move while making the cuts.

Ben

You got that right Ben. The other thing is the blank plate used for backing the dremel too was rubbing against the wood. Big Doh.

Worked great to pop rivet the clamps into the screw holes but not so much as far as clearance for cutting. LOL

Yes to the round cutter. It should be the best.

And yes to the springs. Might even need add a counterweight.

thought about routing the cable along the side rail with tie wraps but not sure what the max bend is.

You know how it is. Never buy something you can find in your tinker toy box. :D

G

I have found the Dremel cables to be stiff and awkward as well. The cable with a regular flex shaft tool seems to be a little easier to work with. Also, the hand pieces seem to have less slop and runout depending on the exact model of course. Even the Harbor Freight ones like this tend to be a little better than the Dremel ones.

http://www.harborfreight.com/flexible-shaft-grinder-and-carver-40432.html

I have found for wood a fresh carbide cutter is necessary. Some woods seem to dull a cutter faster than cutting aluminum.

Another option is to just mount a small wood router directly on your cutting head. A 1HP Bosch Colt is not bad for that kind of light cutting and it has a lot less slop than any of the affordable flex shaft handpiece type I have tried including some of the big names. The negative of course is that you have to mount it right there.