Nathan

Crazy Crawler Style Baits

Does anyone here have any experience building this style bait?..I have a new concept for one but before I can move on I need to master the basic bait first..My first attempts spin when I retrieve them.I'm using the lg. creeper wings from lure parts on line...Any input would be appreciated...Nathan

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with this style... I googled it and came up with a pretty neat soft plastic swimbait but that was all... Is your concept based in this or is it something completely different?

Try this BTH................Ben

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-6697027465779297:7461124956&ie=ISO-8859-1&sa=Search&q=creeper+lures#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=creeper%20lures&gsc.page=1

There must be quite a few companies making different versions of this lure Nathan. From looking at pics online I've seen some with both the wings and a spinner on the back of the lure. Also saw some that appeared to be jointed and even others that were carved in the shape of a frog. This type lure must have been around for quite some time and they must be pretty good at catching fish or they wouldn't have lasted this long with so many different companies building different versions of it.

As far as the spinning problem are you adding ballast to the lures your building?

Ben

I saw that Nathan. 2"X5/8" or 21/2" x 3/4". The price is scary too. The set costs about the same as a Crazy Crawler. :eek:

We need diemai to make a stamping machine for this.

Looked at some of the ones Ben was talking about also. Some nice work being done.

YES! to the cotter pin. And the longer adjustment flap on the blade.

The Crazy Crawler has been around since the mid to late 20s. Started out as the Donaly WOW and the Jersey WOW. Both used the same body. The Jersey WOW was reversed and used one treble rear hook due to the New Jersey three point hook law. Heddon acquired the rights in the 40s.

G

Ben,

Yes I did add lead for ballast..I built one thinking "how hard can it be?"...It went down hill from there!!...lol.I didn't do any research on the web before building .I see now mine is to long and narrow...I need to build it a bit shorter and wider....also these wings a heavy and need to be mounted forward...but then the bait wants to nose down..(I think that is where the additional width comes in)Also reading I guess the spinning is a common problem but I can't find where any body gives any hints on how to fix it..... Nathan

We need diemai to make a stamping machine for this.

G

Don't need one , ......you can make them at home just using hand tools :

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/2487-crawler/

http://www.mooreslures.com/ carries those wings as well , ......check out PDF page 32 of the downloadable catalog , ........though I don't know , how much a "Crazy Crawler" is over there in the US :lol: , ......but these store-bought creeper wings make up for muskie and pike lures , ......a "Crazy Crawler" may be a bit undersized in this case , I guess ?

@ Nathan

I have some written Creeper building instructions somewhere(in English) , also explaining how to make the wings(with soldered on metal tubes as hinges) and details about their correct assembly and tuning .

Unfortunately I'm unable to publish these as I've promised not to do(don't have a scanner , anyway , need to shoot pictures) , .......but PM's are not public , are they ?

One thing's for sure , ...the lure blanks have to be made of very buoyant timber , yet strong enough to keep the mounting screws(hookhangers should be thru-wired for muskie) , minimum 4 1/2" to 5" length and mnimum 1 1/4" thickest dia to be able to carry those heavy wings plus other hardware(maybe even also hookspreaders) and still retain their intended action .

Greetz , Dieter :yay:

• Like 1

I have fished some different models of these winged baits and they act similar to a Jitter bug in the way they shuffle side to side. They are meant to be fished on a slow retrieve which will eliminate some of the roll.They are mesmerizing to listen to that cadence at night. Remember don't jerk until you actually feel him. Hang on tight and lock those knees! :halo: Musky Glenn

I have fished some different models of these winged baits and they act similar to a Jitter bug in the way they shuffle side to side. They are meant to be fished on a slow retrieve which will eliminate some of the roll.They are mesmerizing to listen to that cadence at night. Remember don't jerk until you actually feel him. Hang on tight and lock those knees! :halo: Musky Glenn

...............a Jitterbug is yet easier to make , ...also the lip is cheaper to buy compared to a set of Creeper wings .

I prefer the aluminium Jitterbug lips over the ones of stainless steel , ..the latter may generate a tad richer sound , but they render the lure too much nose-heavy , so that sometimes the force of retrieve would not even lift it up properly .

greetz , Dieter :yay:

I've been a member of the TU community since it started over 10 years ago...I've got to say it still amazes me how helpful people are here!! Thanks to all who posted and pm'd me with info.

When I get one of these critters to work I'll post up a picture!..Nathan

• Like 1

Musky Glenn,

Those are the wings I have, and your right ...they are large!...I see that Moores provides the mounting screws and cotter pins per set..that's nice to know the other places you have to buy them separate ..Thanks for the info...Nathan