slabslayer76

Weight Placement

Alright guys i have just started to make some musky lures and the first was a grandma lure 8 1/2 inch jointed . The lure will not stay sraight and lays on it's side. can someone help with weight placement or is it another isssue all together. Im useing poplar wood with through wire . any ideas will be helpful

Did you use any ballast weight in the bait? If you did the weight has to be centered almost perfectly so that the ballast weight is not slighty over to one side which would cause it to "lean" one way. When drilling the ballast weight holes pay attention to where you are drilling and make sure they are centered and in line with each other.

When I make jointed lures, I float test them in a water bucket and try to keep as much of the ballast in the front section as possible. If I run out of room, I add some ballast toward the front of the second section, but never in the tail. That keeps the tail section light and buoyant, so it stays level on the retrieve, and keeps it more active.

Keeping the front section twice as long as the other section, with the majority of the ballast in it, seems to keep the front section more stable on the retrieve, so it doesn't wiggle as much as the rest of the lure.

Edited by mark poulson

Things to consider, one is adding weight by upgrading your hook size. Perhaps just the one in the front to start off, should level it. If not try with 3 .

If that doesn't work, not knowing how thick it is, add about 1/2 an once of lead just behind the first hook or about 1/4 way down the bait. Try to add it in a vertical position but do not cross the halfway point of the lure. This will bring the nose down a little and should not affect the action.

Remember to tweak the line tie if it doesn't run straight.

s54

if you have hook eyes already installed hang some weight from them till you get the bait sitting like you want it then melt that and pour it in the holes you have drilled in the baits..just make really sure your bait is dry before pouring the lead as it WILL explode if it hits water when its in liquid form