benton B

Balsa Foam

Hi benton,

I'm almost sure the balsa foam they are referring to is simply expanding urethane foam, do a search here on foam.

Ive heard of a far eastern company that uses a wood compound to injection-mold wooden-type bodies like standard plastic ones are made.

havnt seen one though.

other than that Im not too sure.

thats right... they sell those in blocks dont they?

I doubt if its the urethane foam then, because the foam needs to "skin" an outer coating, many of the folks here working with the foam know if you try to carve a cured piece, it opens up alot of pores in the foam, so carving it isnt a good option.

you seen that over at creativelure, right? if you pick up an pack, please post back here with your findings,

Thanks,

Jerry "redg8r"

I found some balsa foam at an art store this weekend. It is sold in sheets 1/2 inch and 1 inch in width and 8x12 inches overall size. This stuff is very rigid, light weight, easy to shape (be real careful when carving tends to gouge) and cuts like butter on a scroll saw. But this stuff makes a mess with the orange dust it leaves. I should have a completed bait latter this week to field test. Yes Red creative lure is where I read about this material.

Wow, that's expensive stuff Husky. I have never understood why some of the foam products are so expensive. If I am going to pay 5 dollars for a small block of the stuff why not just use wood? There are so many foams out there I have always thought there must be a very rigid and fine particle design that would be perfect for us carvers.

Jed

Wow' date=' that's expensive stuff Husky. I have never understood why some of the foam products are so expensive. If I am going to pay 5 dollars for a small block of the stuff why not just use wood? There are so many foams out there I have always thought there must be a very rigid and fine particle design that would be perfect for us carvers.

Jed[/quote']

Yeah, I was just wondering what he was referring to, and did a Google search.

Balsa is getting pretty toppy, too. To be honest, I only use Balsa to make master models to be molded in 16 lb urethane foam. It's a very inexpensive an quick way to make plugs that are alike, each and every time.