Brent R

Rods...cork Or Foam

Brent R:

Funny, your question was moved and my comment goes missing. No big deal. At least now your in the correct location. Thanks for your message. LOL.

As to your question. Foam is better suited for salt water and cork for fresh water and the like. Weight/durability of the material has a lot to do with which is used where.

Have made many salt water rods and for the most part foam (not always though) was the clear choice . Fresh water types be they fly rods, spinning or bait casting rods , cork was my choice.

Like they say, different strokes for different folks.

Brent R:

Funny, your question was moved and my comment goes missing. No big deal. At least now your in the correct location. Thanks for your message. LOL.

As to your question. Foam is better suited for salt water and cork for fresh water and the like. Weight/durability of the material has a lot to do with which is used where.

Have made many salt water rods and for the most part foam (not always though) was the clear choice . Fresh water types be they fly rods, spinning or bait casting rods , cork was my choice.

Like they say, different strokes for different folks.

LOL.....Yes i posted my ??? in the rod and reel section......TU must have took it off the crankbait section...lol

I'm on the crank section all the time thats why i posted there....

I like the cork better also....but i have a feeling that if i want to keep using the rods i like, that i am going to have to start using foam.....

Thanks for your input..

take care,Brent

Try doing cork and eva or hva this creates a classy look eva will last longer and doesnt decomp like cork but cork looks nice look at some of the phenix rods hell you can even by pre made cork and eva handles if you have any questions email me zacsmithdesign@me.com

one thing i have noticed though about the newer high end rods that are using foam again is that it doesnt feel the same to me as my older cheaper rods do - it seems to be a diffrent type of foam on the carrot stix and other rods than my old quantums and cheaper rods used and still use

They are useing HDEVA it is more dense

here are some examples

Those are beautiful. I still like cork and I've seen some guys make some beautiful designs. I have never had cork handles decomp on me. If you take care of them, clean them and seal them they will last for ever. JMO. I've had cork rod handles that have lasted me over 20 years and the hadles are still good. Now the rod is a different story, as the new rods are much nicer to fish with.

I like cork myself and have some older rods that have like new cork pistol grips and the foregrips are as well. I was wondering if there might be a way to remove them from the blank without destroying the cork.

I have a heatgun, and wondered if the cork might be too much of an insulator to allow the heat penetrate down to the blank. Any advise would be deeply appreciated.