crzyjunyer

Bloxegen Alternative For Dn Users?

hey guys - this morning i was watching "trucks" on spike - they were using a moisture cure urethane sealant/paint and used butane from a microtorch (unlit of course) as an inert barrier to protect the coating from curing in the can

I personally have no experience with DN myself ( i use 2 part auto urethane) so i dont know for sure about it but from what i have learned on here it is a great top coat other than the storage

this may be a good idea though to try since butane is a more readily available and (probably) cheaper solution to bloxegen so i figured i was worth a share

Yes the point of it is to push out any moisture with a dry inert gas. This will prevent the moisture from reacting with the free NCO (reactive group from isocynate). The use of a dry gas to purge any head space as well as limiting head space is a good idea. Another good idea is to eliminate the tin cans. They are impossible to seal well. I use tin cans for storage of small samples at work. Even with the ample use of nitrogen they almost always skin over in a few days. This will vary depending on the catalyst level of the particular LPUR you are working with. I've never actually worked with DN before so I'm not sure as to its open time. I don't make my own hard baits yet, looking into getting started though. One of these days I will have to check out this DN stuff and see what its all about. It probably wouldn't be all that difficult to formulate something similiar.