diemai

Hofschneider Red Eye Spoons

Hi there , folks ,

Early this , or even last year , I've purchased a few used 1 ounce "Hofschneider Red Eye Spoons" off US Ebay , ......by that time I had mounted new hooks(rear only) , splitrings and attachement swivels to them .

http://mama.indstate.edu/users/eudyptes/fishing/fishing_pics/redeye.jpg

Today I've made a couple of dozens of casts with one of them , .......fishing was once more dead slow due to unsuitable weather , ....so no catches occured .

This spoon model must have some kind of catching appeal , since it has been around for so many decades in the USA and Canada , .......if it wasn't so, the lure would have vanished from the market pretty fast , ...... I'm sure !

Here in central Europe(Germany)this spoon model is rather unknown .

But still I'm wondering about the swimming action of this lure , ......unlike the famous "Eppinger Daredevles" or the wellknown German "Effzett Spoon" it gets to spin around it's lengthwise axis very easy , also swims with it's reverse side downward just to only flutter up and down , .......not wobble along like the two previously mentioned spoon examples .

Only on a very , very slow pace of retrieve it kinda cants from one side to the other and wobbles along without turning over or spin , ....but to me it's very hard to keep this slow pace , especially when the lure approaches shallower waters near the bank I'm standing on , .......could get to snag up quite easy at this stage .

I'm not used to spoons having such an action like the "Red Eye Wiggler" or "Red Eye Spoon" , ...... can anybody out there give me some confidence in this lure , .......do you catch pike and muskie on them , ...and if so , ....how do you retrieve them ?

Would be glad about any "Red Eye Spoon" experiences being shared in here ,

........thanks a lot , .............greetz , diemai :yay:

Looks like nobody is able to share any experiences , .......obviously hardly any pike(and muskie)spoon casters like myself in here :lol: !

Anyway , ....just came across this one , .....to me really providing more confidence in the above mentioned lure model or at least in a spinning spoon action , ........not so much in obviously cheapo , shop-bought , wire leaders :huh: , ........I'd rather make my own , and they never failed this way .

Tight lines , ....diemai :yay: