Hook Dressing Made Simple

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mylures

• Site Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

This is the process I use for dressing hooks or attaching a SS wire to a hook shank to attach a rubber tail. As you can see in the photo I bend the ends around so the plastic tail won't just slide off. I bend the wire like that on both ends and put one end in the hooks eye. I then wrap some tying thread around the wire and hook shank to secure the wire in place. I put a coat of clear nail polish on it. Then I put a piece of heat shrink tubing over this assembly and heat it with a bic lighter. I then apply a coat of clear nail polish over this again for the finished product. When I'm dressing hooks with maribou or other materials I took a small needle nose pliers and drilled a 3/16" hole through where the wire cutter is located. Very hard to drill but I used some diamond coated wheels to smooth the hole. I put the hook in the hole of the pliers and close the pliers. Then I add the heat shrink tubing and heat with a bic lighter. The reason for the pliers is to keep the flame and heat away from the feathers or marabou. I think it works great and looks great also. Be sure to use extreme caution when applying heat as all the materials are flammable except for the heat shrink tubing. I hope this helps out and if you have any questions please pm, email or post your questions online. Thanks Ken Schmitz

I buy the heat shrink tubing at Harbor Freight in 8' lenghts This is for musky baits and I haven't tried it on smaller hooks.

Attached Files

• bassguy likes this

#2 Nathan

Advanced Member

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts
Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

That is really slick Ken..Thanks for posting that...Nathan