fishnart

Measuring Devcon2

Am I correct in the fact that this is measured with even amounts of the two parts? I don't have scales and do it by sight, which works 99% of the time. Once in a while I mix a batch that doesn't cure entirely. In reading the post about the new stuff (ACC I believe) I think it mentioned some measure it a little different?? Am I doing it wrong?

If you plan to mix by weight, contact the manuf. to find the exact ratio. I've read it's 1.2/1 by weight, but I've never tried it that way, and don't even know which is which in the ratio.

The directions say 1/1 by volume, so that's what I've always done.

I've mixed by eye for years, and never had a bad batch. It is somewhat forgiving in terms of exact mixture.

I measure D2T by eye, by squeezing out matching lines (don't ask me how I got to be an expert in lines :wink: ) and it seems to work out fine.

I mix the D2T the same way, by eye. Two equal size puddles, mix and mix some more, be sure all the material is mixed.

Jerry

I used the "equal puddles" method for years and never had a failure to harden. But I noticed that some batches were more prone to yellowing than others for whatever reason. To eliminate the possibility that the yellowing is caused by inexact measuring, I've started to use syringes to measure epoxy. That way, I'm SURE the parts are exactly equal. And I'm learning exactly how much epoxy it takes to do my baits, so I'm probably saving a little epoxy too.

I don't understand weighing epoxy since the manufacturer specifies measuring by volume - but no harm, no foul I guess! That said, my digital scale gets plenty of exercise every time I build a bait. The only way I know to get truly repeatable results on a series of baits is to weigh the components and keep a record of of the build so next month or next year, I can build a bait the same way - or make informed decisions on how to change things for better performance.

I tell kids to pay attention in school cause you never know how you can use the stuff they try to teach in chemistry class. You can use that stuff in mixing epoxy. Epoxy manufacturers say to mix Part A and Part B in equal amounts of volume. That's one given. Another given is that each part has a property called density. In science density is a property of mass (or weight) per unit volume. So part A has a density and part B has a density. So if you know the density of each part you can mix the Part A and Part B using the mass or weight of each part. Just gotta know what the density of each part and that you can get from the manufacture. To get a mix of equal volume means you have to mix different weights of each part depending on the density of the part. If one part is heavier than the other part then more weight will be needed of that part. I say use whatever methods works for you. If you have a scale that measures accurately then you got a choice. Mr Spillman (RIP) would be proud of me that I remember this from his chemistry class. What will get you is getting sloppy about mixing the parts using either weight or volume.

Somebody else can explain the math part of school.

If you plan to mix by weight, contact the manuf. to find the exact ratio. I've read it's 1.2/1 by weight, but I've never tried it that way, and don't even know which is which in the ratio.

I've mixed by eye for years, and never had a bad batch. It is somewhat forgiving in terms of exact mixture.

Thank goodness. :)

I just squirt out equal (as close as possible) amounts into hospital med cups and then mix 'em together.

I came upon this thread and thought I'd add a reply that might be helpful.

For about 4 cent per mix, you can pretty much eliminate the guess work.

The little one ounce cups have four different ways you can achieve equal measures. I use drams measurements.

They also work fantastic for measuring out envirotex lite or whatever topcoat you prefer.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/medline-plastic-medicine-cups/ID=prod1606757-product

• Like 1

I measure D2T by eye, by squeezing out matching lines (don't ask me how I got to be an expert in lines :wink: ) and it seems to work out fine.

It is supposed to be mixed 1 to 1 by volume, not weight.

Mark I forgot about this post, however, everytime I read a post  you make, it always makes me snicker. You should have a side job as a comedian.