Kris

Possible Compressor Problem ... Any Ideas?

I've noticed I'm not getting the pressure I was used to coming thru my A/B. So my first thought was the A/B is clogged and needs cleaning. I have cleaned the A/B 3 times...twice overnight.

The airbrush works but with not much air pressure.

I've noticed when I detach the hose from the A/B there is little air coming out where in the past there was enough to cause the hose to move around due to the escaping air and enough to cause the needle to move on compressor to zero pounds. Now the needle hardly moves.

It seems it doesn't matter what psi you set the compressor on there is very little difference in the pressure coming out of the hose or A/B.

I've checked everything I can think of on the compressor. There is no leaks.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OK Kris try these steps.

1.Start at the source of the air- at the compressor (you did not say what kind of compressor-diaphram or piston type) diconnect the A/B hose and check to see that there is plenty of pressure but mainly air flow coming from the compressor. If not check to see if the pressure regulator is adjustable and letting air get pass it. It can have plenty of pressure but if there is a problem with the compressor or the regulator if there is one of not putting enough air flow into the hose. Its flow that makes the paint spray in the brush. Pressure just puts more energy in moving the air flow. If that checks out then its not the compressor.

2.Next check the A/B hose to see if it is blocked. Try blowing in one end and if it flows easily then the hose is not the problem. If it's hard to blow then the hose has a problem. Try another hose.

3. You didn't say what Airbrush you are using and if you have any MAC valves, filters, or fittings between the air hose and the A/B. Check out those parts to see if they could be restricting the air flow.

4. If all that is OK then the problem is in the A/B. And that is another discussion but it boils down to a clean airbrush. Search this web site for cleaning airbrushes for hints and tips on this part. THere are several about ABs that were thought to be clean only to find out otherwise. There are a lot of small air passages that can get clogged.

It helps with diagnosing problems with a little more deatils about your exact setup. It may be that someone else who has that setup may dial right in to the problem based on their experience.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Does your compressor cycle on and off? In other words does it build up to a designated pressure and then turn itself off or is it one of the on demand type compressors? If it is one that builds up to a designated pressure and turns off is it doing this? If your compressor is cycling properly then it's probably a problem with your regulator. This is of course assuming your using a regulator. If the diaphragm in your regulator is cracked or broken it could cause the problem your having.

Ben

Sorry for the lack of information on the compressor .... my bad :drool:

I have a Central Pneumatic 3 gal. pancake oilless compressor. It cycles on and off and is cycling properly.

Using an Iwata Hi-Line HP-BH. It spraying but it seems I have to turn the psi up to get any good flow from it.

The hose doesn't seem to be blocked and tried another hose to be sure...same result.

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

post-22218-0-09405700-1346369155_thumb.jpg

Ive got the same compressor. I havent had the problem you've mentioned; however, mine did nearly catch on fire the other day. my moisture trap was stuck open and i didnt know it. I left the room for about 20min to come back to a garage full of smoke... that baby was hot! To get back to.the point, they arent the greatest compressor but are great for the price and perfect for airbrushing. It wouldnt surprise me if there was an o-ring clogging you up somewhere. If you have pressure, im betting regulator. I take it you purchased from harbor freight? If you got the extended warranty (which is always worth it with HB's electric power tools) I would swap it. Good luck.

Kris,

If the compressor is pumping up to pressure and cutting off that indicates that it is likely getting up to around 120-125 psi in the tank. If little air is comming out of the compressor, there is a restriction somewhere. Start at the regulator and work backward. You should be able to get high air discharge by adjusting the regulator up to its highest setting. Remove the regulator and pump the tank up and see what the air flow is like. If the air discharge is strong without the regulator that is the issue.