littleriver

Anyone Seal With Superglue?

Yes it does and one coat is all that is needed. Good Ventilation is a must. The fumes are strong and not pleasant. I never hold lure in hand. I like to put lure on a homemade skewer(woods stick with a small mail in it) then hold the skewer with handle up lure down and apply glue to 3/4 of lure. Allow lure to dry and flip lure 180 degrees on skewer and finish applying glue. Have q tips and acetone on hand should an accident happen. Acetone is superglues kryptonite.

Yes I do. I use the products by zap . I use the pink labeled thin in the 4 oz bottle. I apply it directly from the bottle with the tip provided in the manner I described earlier. I ordered two bottles and I am still on the first on one for a few months now. One of the things that amazes me is the fact it has never clogged. I leave the bottle open. Just applied the tip and use,use,use and use . Never covered tip and working fine. Dollar tree stuff would have clogged the applicator tip long ago.

Hey guys,

I am working on my first lure and am in the process of sealing it. I figured super glue sounded like the easiest method to start off with. Having read the prior posts about spreading the superglue with your fingers, I am still a bit unsure as to the specifics. So do you apply some superglue to the lure or onto your fingers and then spread? Is there something to look for to know its soaking properly? Thanks guys.

I use super glue not so much as a sealer, but more as a wood hardener. By installing the rear hook hanger before applying the glue to the lures surface I have a way to hold the bait with a pair of hemostats and can the cover the entire bait with glue. The super glue is then applied in drops all over the lure. Then it's spread with a finger until the entire surface is covered. I then take a paper towel and wipe off any excess glue. This ensures I have a fairly level surface that doesn't require a lot of sanding to level everything out. After the super glue is dry a coat of 30 minute epoxy is brushed on the bait and put on the lure turner to dry. The 30 minute epoxy is added protection against water intrusion since the super glue goes on so thin and it also gives me a smooth glass like coating to paint over. Super glue isn't going to give you as smooth a finish to apply paint to unless you do some sanding. That's the part that worries me about using nothing but the super glue as a sealer. It goes on so thin that if the lure is sanded to a smooth surface just how much of the super glue is sanded off and how much is left? Some may think this is overkill, but I like to make sure my lures are built as tough as possible.

Ben

p.s. As long as you keep your finger moving it's not going to stick to the bait. Just have a rag, or paper towel, with some acetone on it to wipe the glue off your finger before it has a chance to set up.

Edited by RayburnGuy

I agree with Ben. But superglue is a great first step to sealing your wood bait. However, more work will be needed to get to paint after superglue. Many use two part epoxy like Ben and it is a great choice. I use oil based paint. A rustoleum product # 7790. It may be brushed or dipped. Critical to ensure it is fully dried between coats. Also sanding is required to get a super smooth surface. This is a much longer process with very few advantages over the epoxy method. Like everyone , you will have to try a few different methods before you find the one that fits your style and needs.

Vic

Wrap a piece of clear plastic around finger before spreading the glue on the bait. You can paint directly on the super glue after primer but the wood grain will show thru the paint. To get a fully sealed bait with a smooth surface to paint then use a two part epoxy over the super glue.