streamdancing

Basic Lure Making Tools...would Be?

Boyd here is a couple threads from the past that may prove helpful and explain how to use a couple of the tools mentioned.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/24139-tackleunderground-hardbait-tip-of-the-day/page__st__20

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/22413-hand-carving-your-own-wood-lure/

I have never used the tile cutting bit on aluminum. So, I can not say but who knows you may be teaching us all a new trick or two before long.

Look forward to seeing your fish catching creations. :yay:

Hey Jon Boatin...ok...got a Lowes in this lil town so will check it out...thanks. I suppose I'll have to put something between my 'masterpiece} if clamping once shaped...maybe some of this closecelled foam I already have...hmmmmmm...will see. Boyd

Mine came with rubber sleeves just for that.

Littleriver....thanks so much for sharing those post...they were indeed most helpful! As for as sharing a 'trick or two'...best trick i might teach is 'not to follow' type ones...ha! But...you can bet...if I find something utterly amazing that I think worth sharing...you guys will be the first to get the goodies...yep! Thanks much...Boyd

Great thread!

My favorite, cannot survive without tool is my belt sander. Great for jobs away from lure building too.

My layout tool is a block of wood with a hole drilled through and a pencil jammed in there. On a flat surface, run the pencil around the blank, flip the blank and repeat. This gives you two lines, the center of which is your center line. It doesn't matter how far off center the pencil lines are, you can see the center.

I did drill more holes to vary the depth of the pencil, but I have never used them. Costs nothing, give it a try.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

Boyd, here is one more item to add to the list. I purchased a table top belt sander from Harbor Freight for about $50. It's belt is 1" wide and will do most any shaping you need to do. I use it after cutting out the baits on the scroll saw and then sand the bait to the line. Works great, there is a little futsing around with the sanding table but nothing serious. Just click on the sander . It will take you to the site.

Jerry

Edited by bassguy

Jerry...looked up that neat sander on HF....had it on sale for $40 bucks...nice! One thing I've noticed about some of the tools for lure making...can be utilized for other purposes as well...helps in making a decision on purchases...can see where that table top sinder would come in handy for other things as well...thanks for sharing..and providing a link to be able to look at it!

Mr Crankbaits...Wow...I have those things...you mean I can make a lure with just those few items...cool! I'll have to quit procrastinating and get started! Thanks for the post!

Boyd

Small belt sander (one-inch) is indispensable. If you get one with a sanding wheel as well the wheel is great for faster rough cutting.

If you ever start "looking" at rotary tools again I'd suggest a flex-shaft type with hanging motor and foot pedal. Try and get the handpiece that has a little drill-type chuck rather than collets. With that you can use just about any size bit and I chuck up a short piece of k-bob skewer in it when I want to mix epoxy (spin slowly to mix epoxy). Harbor frieght has about a $50 model, you don't need the expensive brand-name kind.

Go with a small band saw before any type of scroll saw. Scroll saws cut way too slow for anything but super detail work.

One thing I use that nobody mentioned is a drawing program... I've used Visio for years and find it indispensible for drawing up stencils and patterns of all kinds. This is a line-drawing app, different from a picture editor because you can move the lines around rather than changing the pixels. You can buy an older version (ver 2000 or 2003 are good) on eBay and it will do more than you need and cost a little less. I usually make up my pattern, print it, cut it out and stick it to the block of wood I want to cut with 2-sided tape and then start cutting.

If you consider the airbrush as a tool to use, I would like to suggest also using the Folk Art acyrlic paint. I tossed all the little Testors model paint bottles and went with the water base paints that proved to be much less expencive and very easy to use. These guys really make some increadable looking baits and are very helpful with information on how to paint baits as well. I just replaced about 20 colors for less than 20 dollars. Look fwd to see some of your creations.

Hey guys...been off the puter awhile...but wanted to thank everyone for the latest post...so helpful ya'll folks are...wish I'd had ya when I was building the cabin..ha! Wanted to add my two cents re....well...kinda a tool...have been using a couple of Wally World plastic 'tool holders' thingys...lil carosels (sp) like miniture lazy susans with different depth pockets...great for keeping organized on the desk...use mine for files, knives, bodkins, rulers, etc. Sure helps keep the clutter down..and only about $6 bucks apiece. Again guys, thanks for all the help..Boyd