tnbrian98

clearcoat help

Guys I am new to painting and I was wondering what you guys use for clearcoat?Im doing pretty good on painting and starting to get the hang of it.But..The clearcoat is not working very good for me.I have tried a couple different clearcoats from the hobbie shop and tried some clearcoat from Wal-mart and it seems like it is sticky and not holding very good.Thanks for your help.

Aw I am set up for this..... (Nobody laugh!)

Hey Brian!

I guess you working with a single bait at a time..... to speed up the dry so you dont have to hand turn for 18 hours...

Buy some 30 minute DEVCON "CLEAR". mix it in equal parts and brush it on your bait. If you are hand turning, you will need to turn the bait for about 30 minutes before the epoxy sets up enough to set the bait in a tray.... I use exacto blade handles to hold my baits. You could drill a hole in a block to hold it in after it sets up. Then about 8 to 12 hours later you can handle it.

You can use acetone to clean the epoxy from the brush.

A dremel is great for trimming the epoxy away from the lure eyes......

Now when you get real confident, you email me and I'll tell you about using envirotex...

Take care and good luck!

Chip :)

The Devcon clearcoat is called 2 Ton Epoxy.

Like Chip says you will have to rotate your bait

to keep the epoxy from sagging.

I will assume the tn infront of brian stands for Tennessee.

I live in TN, the Columbia area, I have a good friend around

Waverly, and one in Smyrna that make baits.

Are you close, hands on is the best teacher.

And finally, no matter how good your confidence gets, don't call

Chip about Envirotex, he put you on the best stuff to start with. :lol:

I believe he has stock in the company.

Donot use the Devcon 5 min epoxy. You probably won't be able

to finish a bait before it starts to set up and it will turn yellow

before the sun comes up.

Coley

WHaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Would I try to convince anyone to come over the the "Envirotex" Dark side Hans solo??????

Darth "Chip" Vador": "Luke, I'm your father.....Come over to the Envirotex" :twisted:

:wink: Chip

To be honest, I am talking to a coatings company right now about a silane/resin based clearcoat that is UV hardend and sprayable!!! HMMmmmmmm.... want to know my secret?????? this stuff is used on space solar cells to prevent damage and uv discoloration that would damage the cell.......

I came across this material through an R&D project I am working on for space cell development for NASA and the government.

:wink::wink: Chip

well there is always flex coat, but it has a hazard...eventually if you have enough flex coat on hand you will end up building rods 8O That will definitely slow down the bait painting. On the plus side I only have 1 of my All Star blanks and 1 GUSA DHX blank left to build (out of 6).

Seriously...flex coat is kind of an in-between on the envirotex and the devcon. Gives a nice UV stable finish, a little longer pot life than the devcon, and levels out nicely after about 6-10 hours on the turner (variable).