Ken 6645

Help--which Wire Bender To Buy

Hello forum

I'm getting ready to teach myself how to make spinner baits from beginning to finished bait...I've got just about any tool that I might need..I tried needle nose pliers but was disappointed

with the final product ...SO I think i'm going to invest in a wire forming tool. I would really like a Worth Bender but can't afford it [800.00+] .so I'm looking for something a little cheaper by about 700.00... I wanted to know if any of you have any experience with the Twistech former or Boggs or any other bender for that matter..I guess i might be able to make one but I don't care much much for the trail and error part of making one ....

thanks a lot for your time

Ken

chantil@roadrunner.com

I use the twistech heavily for my salmon spinners and it works great--I use .035 wire. Got the heavier head to turn up to .041 and am making some musky stuff and it works great too--at least up to the max .041 wire size. If you need to make larger baits and need to do a closed eye bend, I have not found a better tool. You can make R bends with it as well--not sure how that function compares with the blue bender but it is a pretty simple opperation on the t-tech. Sells for around $70. Good luck.

Spinman

Be careful when choosing wire. It should be not too soft, not too stiff.

I've bought .038 Soft S.S. from Malin Co. It is very nice for work but lures very easy bending. I am also looking now for good wire.

For bending I am using Twistech former. It is very helpful.

Only one problem - you could not place winding loop close to clevis. It is leaving the gap about 10mm.

Regards,

ING

I'm with Barrysbaits, if you want to make "R" bend spinnerbaits the little blue bender is hard to beat and it is what I use since I don't like closed loop spinnerbaits and I don't make in-line spinners. I do use a round nose pliers to form swivel loops because it is faster for me but remember, a round nose is not the same as needle nose pliers, a round nose will form perfect loops once you learn how to use them. So for now if you want to make "R" bends the little blue bender, if you want to make a lot of other types then a twistech or boggs is what you are looking to get.

Does anyone have any experience with the Hagens Professional Wire Former as shown in their 2012 - 2013 catalog? And what about the Hagens Industrial Wire Cutting Tool and the Hagens Coil Bending Tool?

On a scale from 01 to 10 how well can you rate the Hagens Tools from a performance wise perspective?

Does anyone have any experience with the Hagens Professional Wire Former as shown in their 2012 - 2013 catalog? And what about the Hagens Industrial Wire Cutting Tool and the Hagens Coil Bending Tool?

On a scale from 01 to 10 how well can you rate the Hagens Tools from a performance wise perspective?

I would give it an 8 because there is not much else to choose from. It does "R" bends and twisted eyes.

Worth's bender is too high. It might work better/smoother, but I have never tried one.

I have used a Boggs a little bit, it seemed ok. I purchased a Twist Tech (the cheaper one)and did not like it.

I have not used the wire cutter but I called about it and almost bought it.

I have not used the Coil Bender.

Edited by dlaery

Thanks for the repsonses.

Ive never had to do much wire bending that i couldnt do with a pair of round nose wire pliers. And what bending i do ive been doing for so long and so often that im fairly quick. But now i figure it is time to step it up and go to some commercial type tools. I will probably be ordering the Hagens Wire Former, Coil Bender and the Wire Cutting Tool. But im still going to take a look at the Worth Wire Bender but i am doubtfull i will go that deep price wise.

Im wondering if there are any YouTube videos showing these tools in action?

Edited by WidowMaker