RayburnGuy

A Couple Questions On Building A Hunting Crank

Here is a short close-up video of that lure "Satku 100mm" put out on the same YouTube channel :

@ hazmail

Pete , I think , that Mikko(solarfall) had mentíoned it somewhere before , that these saddle lips were made from propionate , .....I know , that they are somewhat softer and more flexible than lexan , I was given a few by a Finnish friend before .

I know that "Ugly Duckling" works video , ....how come to think , that the girls were Romanian , ......I'm quite certain that these lures are made in Serbia and/or Croatia ?

Cheers , Dieter :yay:

Q-"I know that "Ugly Duckling" works video , ....how come to think , that the girls were Romanian , ......I'm quite certain that these lures are made in Serbia and/or Croatia ?

Cheers , Dieter :yay:"

Not sure Dieter, I thought someone said they were Romanian, OR it was on the vid-- maybe it's just wishful thinking - they look very Swedish to me, but I'm a long way away??????????

Pete

Pete , I think , that Mikko(solarfall) had mentíoned it somewhere before , that these saddle lips were made from propionate , .....I know , that they are somewhat softer and more flexible than lexan , I was given a few by a Finnish friend before .

I know that "Ugly Duckling" works video , ....how come to think , that the girls were Romanian , ......I'm quite certain that these lures are made in Serbia and/or Croatia ?

'Product of Serbia' right at the start of the video.

I never noticed the girls :)

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

I didn't notice the girls either. By the way, did I tell ya'll that it's been snowing for the last 3 days here in Texas? :halo:

Ben

.............and waters iced up , ........right :wink:  :lol: ?

Alright , ......gonna get back to topic :wink: !

This Finnish bait in the video above won't leave me alone , .....I'm wondering , whether it's the large circular lip enhancing or even causing a hunting action , ....out of my memory I've made a little sketch at yesterday's shift and today I've found the time to carve two lures of 4" and 5 1/2" approximately , ....just made the lips and wireforms and shot the pictures , ........now the blanks are soaking in propionate and awaiting a few more dippings coming week before they'd hit the bath tub for a first swim test .

PICT0008-001.JPG

PICT0014-001.JPG

Really eager to find out :? , .........cheers , diemai :yay:

PICT0008-001.JPG

PICT0014-001.JPG

PICT0008-001.JPG

PICT0014-001.JPG

PICT0008-001.JPG

PICT0014-001.JPG

PICT0008-001.JPG

PICT0014-001.JPG

PICT0008-001.JPG

PICT0014-001.JPG

PICT0008-001.JPG

PICT0014-001.JPG

PICT0008-001.JPG

PICT0014-001.JPG

post-17895-0-76950000-1373209977_thumb.jpg

post-17895-0-31280600-1373209990_thumb.jpg

I've been using the circular lip for a while.  I like the action, but it is a major PITA to tune.  There seems to be less stability, which is great for an erratic hunt, but you could spend several minutes tweaking a lure (at least on mine).  Each lure is obviously different though.  The hardest part is getting that circular lip lined up even in the lure.  It will drive you crazy, and if it is off at all then the lure is a fail.  

The circular lips deflect well, but they do not seem to be the best if you are grinding bottom.  The square bills seem to track truer for this, but then again they don't hunt near as much (if at all, in my opinion ) either.  Different lures for different application.  I have not been able to get the rhythmic hunt though.

You know I hate secrets Dave, I will send you a dumpster of iron ore for the secret formula--O.K ---------------You know my email-------------

I heard from Phil (PhilB) today, he sent a picture of himself and wife sitting in the sun drinking wine------looks well. Bl---dy freezing here.

Pete

@ A-Mac

...............thanks for sharing your experiences , ...not just the most encouraging , though :blink:  :lol: !

@ Vodkaman

..............will do a video for sure , maybe in one week time , .....quite busy with work these days :censored: .

@ A-Mac

...............thanks for sharing your experiences , ...not just the most encouraging , though :blink:  :lol: !

@ Vodkaman

..............will do a video for sure , maybe in one week time , .....quite busy with work these days :censored: .

Cheers , Dieter

@ A-Mac

@ Vodkaman

It's worth a shot!  There is a reason why I still use the circular lip, the fish eat it!  Of course, I've never tried the circular lip on a minnow body either.  The line tie on my lures is much closer to the lip, which maybe line tie distance from the lip is an attribute to rythmic hunting?

My apologies Dave, my square bill reference was came across as "all encompassing" but was intended to refer to mass manufactured square bills like Lucky Crafts/strike king.  You read about pros referring to these lures "hunting" in magazines, but I've never had one do anything out of the norm.... not to take away from their fish catching abilities though.

No worries Pete. I have actually decided to publish my hunting theory. If anyone thinks that this is wrong, please let me know.

Dave

If anyone DOES this is wrong, please keep it to yourself!!! I have tried everything I can think of with no consistent success.... I can make a bait that will hunt but I can't do it with any sort of consistency. I'm honestly not looking to sell crankbaits ( but I AM looking to sell sof plastics in the future... Totally different deal though...) and I imagine thise who do sell already have a pretty firm grasp on the hunting deal. I'd just love to be able to purposely build one when needed and not have it be a "happy accident"...

Hi , fellas ,

Finally I made it to test my two blanks above , and it seems , that I have failed on achieving a hunting action right on the spot , .........the bathtub is pretty much too short for an extensive test , so I'm gonna take them along to the fishing waters on next occassion , ......maybe a longer distance of retrieve would provide some more or even better insight ?

At least the wiggle of the lures is OK , .......TU member "solarfall" had just commented on YouTube , that it might be about the cam on the lip , .....also that the tradional Finnish hunting lures were made from balsa , so a very buoyant material would be essential to achieve the hunting action , .......the abachewood , that I have used , is also quite buoyant , but still can't match balsa in that way !

Greetz , Dieter :yay:

• Like 1

They sure do swim well.

You make really nice lures.

I've had on and off results by putting some of the ballast just slightly behind the front hook hanger, and also just slightly above the center line of the lure, nose to tail.

In my lures, I make a through bore from side to side, and add two smaller ball bearings.  Ideally, the bore is three bearings wide, so there is just enough room for them to move from side to side, with one always in the middle.

I have achieved a wide, intermittent hunting action this way, with the lures swimming along for a full second, and then moving approx. 2' to the side before they continue swimming for another second, and then they move back.

I had hoped for a more radical "hunt", but this is what I've been able to do, so far.

The lures I made to hunt are 2 1/4" plus a square lip that lets them run down to 4', and they hunt on a slow or moderate retrieve.

It is very hard to duplicate this every time, and small things, like hook and split ring sizes, and enhance or kill the action quickly.

I think the raised ballast increases what Dave called the instability of the lure almost to the point of blowing out, and then the movable ballast kind of kicks the lure over, but then it corrects itself.

It was fun to try, but I've stopped playing around with it because it is too hard to duplicate consistently, and I'm lazy.  Hahaha

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

Hi , People ,

A little update , .......apart from the two lures shown above I've made three more baits  with even bigger circular lips , all readily painted and topcoated by now , and in terms of an extensive lure test at the fishing club's pond yesterday I've tested and also tuned them .

Looks like I still have to learn a lot more about this circular lip stuff , .......as it seems , the edge between a hunting action , a straight wobble and a blow-out is quite narrow , ....depending on blank shape and cross section , ballast or no ballast and also on the diameter of the circular lips , tow eye location as well , off course .

Since I have tested a bunch of 22 lures in total , the video turned out to be quite long , almost 40 minutes , but after the intro I had started out with swimming these particular round lipped minnows first , ....and a little summary of them can be seen as from 33:51 on , so you might skip forward .

Greetz , Dieter :yay: