Slims

Going To Remelt All My Plastics, And Add Hardener. Oil Question

My first run of plastic worms was on MF supersoft, and the worms are too soft to sell. I have over 1200 worms in different colors that I want to remelt and reshoot, but I want to add hardener. What is a good hardener to plastisol ratio? Lets say a cup worth of plastisol? Also, all the worms have been bagged and oil has been added to the bags. How will that affect my remelt?

Thanks.

No, the worms are not salted. I am just unhappy with the softness of them. The action on them is sick, but they are only good for one fish, sometimes one strike. Also, I just read another thread and it said I have to add hardener to cold plastisol, then mix it with the remelt? That will affect the colors a bit.....

Oh well. I guess at this point the only issue is whether or not the worm oil I added to the bags will be an issue?

No, the worms are not salted. I am just unhappy with the softness of them. The action on them is sick, but they are only good for one fish, sometimes one strike. Also, I just read another thread and it said I have to add hardener to cold plastisol, then mix it with the remelt? That will affect the colors a bit.....

Oh well. I guess at this point the only issue is whether or not the worm oil I added to the bags will be an issue?

Purchase some MF hard plastisol and add 4 oz. per 12 oz of the re-melts for starters.

Hardener must be added to cold plastisol then heated.You may not get an even consistency adding hardener to new,cold plastisol and re-melts

Try this - No kidding, just take the worms and put them into a large lint free pillow case or equivilant that will hold 1200 worms. Then roll the worms around to allow the oil to soak into the pillow case or what ever you use. Remove as much oil as possible this way then using common dish soap, wash your worms in something large enough to hold all the worms (like your bath tub). If you need to, let them soak over night or a bit longer. Next rinsse off worms with clean water and dry them. After all worms are dry, check the worms to see if the oil has been washed off and then remelt.

My dad has been selling the same super soft worms for thirty years. He does 3 to 5 thousand $ a month selling to one store and a few bass pros. Never heard a complaint that they don't last as they catch fish. I would are if you can find a market. I know our lakes are pressured and its tough to get lots of bites.

Slims, if the oil that is on your baits is something that naturally came from the worms(in other words you didnt add any oil to them) that is not oil, it is plastisizer. Plastisizer is a softener so if you wash it off you may not have to add hardener. Any time you re-melt soft plastic it will naturally be a little harder when the re-melts cool, when you re-melt over and over, every time you re-melt you lose a little of the softness. Just thought I would metion this for you to keep in mind, I would hate for you to melt down a bunch of baits and your plastic be too hard, every time you re-melt the plastic loses some of its properties. If you re-melt soft plastic over and over you will eventually end up with junk.

Edited by carolinamike

Hello Slims, I don't know whick of Lure Crafts Plastic your using now, but I've been using theirs for 10 yrs now, with no problems, I use 3 diffrent types of there plastic for diffrent things I make.

I use their Salt Water plastic to make my Swim Baits and tubes, the blened plastic for my Swimmin Salty Bass Sticks (aka Swim Senkos) and the for the softer stuff I use the one that says it's used mainly on the east coast.