bobv

Lip Angle

Hello Bob. One of the easiest ways to figure out which lip angle, line tie position, lip position i to use is to study factory baits that dive to the desired depth your wanting from your own bait. Most online and retail stores even have them broken down by diving depth. I learned much from this practice.

I would think something around 40 degrees should work just fine.

Vic

Not only the lip angle and size presets the diving depth of a lure , but also the buoancy of the lure's body . To give you an example , .......I once swapped a lure 5 1/2" blank from balsa , wanted it to dig quite deep , so I mounted a larger triangular lip pointing about 30° forward .

The lure swam fine , but dug down not more than 3 feet this way , .......popped back up like a cork , if you would stop the retrieve .

After I put loads of lead into belly and also back it still floated back to the surface on a pause , but much , much slower , ..........it now went down for at least 12 feet or even a tad more , .....still wobbling along seductively .

You can't plan on a crankbait's action on only one of it's features alone , ....they all must match one another , and if you alter just one , you'd get a different result in entire swimming action time after time .

Good luck , diemai :yay:

• Like 1

I think an angle of 45 degrees is almost "standard" on shallow running balsa baits. If you front-weight the bait to swim with a nose-down attitude, that effectively increases the lip angle, which decreases the running depth.

You didn't really expect straightforward answers, did ya? You could do worse than copying the general configuration and weight of a KVD or Lucky Craft shallow runner.