Net Man

Gold Foil

I get mine from Sunshine Glass Works. It's called Venture Britebak. I think this particular brand is only offered in silver now, but by spraying a light coat of Createx transparent sunshine yellow over it you can get a really nice gold color. There are numerous suppliers who offer adhesive backed foils. Jones Tones is one that comes to mind although I'm not sure they offer it with an adhesive backing. Just do a search for "adhesive backed foil" on the 'net and you'll get plenty of results.

Ben

http://www.sunshineglass.com/rcol/i-proj/mosaic-access.htm

The Venture Brite-bak is the best I've used. It's designed for stained glass artists, is very thin and tough, with an adhesive backing. They used to sell a gold foil but it was more a brass color than gold and it would discolor under most topcoats. They discontinued it, don't know if they later came up with a new gold foil that works better. I'm with Rayburn Guy on using their silver foil. Spray a little Createx transparent yellow over it and you have a nice gold finish.

Mark, the only "trick" I know to getting the foil to lay down is to burnish the tar out of it. When I start I make sure to start in the middle of the foil cutout and press down while working my way out to the edges. Both towards the ends and the top of the lure. If it starts trying to wrinkle, and it will on baits will multiple contours, I try to lift up the areas beside the wrinkles and pull them tight as possible before working it back down. Once you get started it's pretty self explanatory. The foil will tell you where it needs to be stretched and pulled to make it lay down flat. Now take into mind I don't try to get the foil completely wrapped around the bait. I always leave the top and bottom to be covered up with paint. After burnishing the foil flat I apply a coat of epoxy to hide the raised edges of the foil at the top and bottom. This is done before painting because paint won't hide anything unless it is applied over a smooth surface. I also use a variety of burnishing tools. Everything from the plastic barrel of a permanent marker to tongue depressors depending on how tight the area is that I'm trying to get the foil to lay down.

If you still have questions, or don't understand my ramblings, just holler and I'll try to explain it better.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

I first started using the Britebak foil around 02 or 03 for foiling baits . The gold foil they sold was actually made of brass and didn't seem to adhere as good as the silver foil . I normally use a plastic spoon for burnishing and then wipe down the foil covered bait with a paper towel damp with rubbing alcohol to maximize the shine . I had a buddy who is a machinist make me an embossing tool with a round brass bar cut with a "knurling tool cutter" for imprinting a scale pattern into the foil . I use Devcon 2t for the outer finish and have yet to see a bait's

foil lose it's shine under the top coat .