Saltfisher

Grinding Your Own Salt

I used Morton's Kosher(green box) Pickling Salt. Right out of the box. If you powder the salt, sure it suspends better, but the baits look like crap in my opinion. I prefer a translucent bait that allows for light reflection and refraction. If you powder the salt then the only flake you will see is what's on the outside of the bait. Stir every two sticks if you hand pour or get a Presto Pot with a stirrng system. Like I said above "I prefer"

Edited by 152nd Street Baits

I still don't understand why any body would want to use powdered salt? Why bother putting flake in. You can control the size of the flake you like. Also, a blender does a great job and holds a heck of allot more salt than the grinder. Feed stores are also a great place to buy salt cheap! JMO but I value it greatly!

I was looking for the mortons pickling salt, and didnt see it at my local grocery store. Any other salts I can buy at my local store that work good without grinding? I want to try and stay away from grinding because it turns the salt white, and colors the plastic white also.

Just usually add salt to everything to add a little weight when using senkos weightless T-rigged in deeper water.

Its always going to be a to each their own kid of thing.  I ran out of Bear's salt last week, and one of my buddies wanted a bunch of my Club-Os because he had something going on with some guests.  Anyway, I bought a bag of non-iodized restaurant table salt, and made some baits up quick to get him going.  I thought it might be my imagination, but when my buddy commented on it too I knew it wasn't.  The colors looked brighter.  I have caught fish on baits all summer with bears salt so I know its not a big deal, but my buddy told me he wanted them like that from now on. 

Its going to be a trade off I guess.  I'll have to keep two kinds of salt on hand.  Oh, well.