mikecheck1212

Clay?

im just curious on what kind of clay you veterans use to make a model for your plastics...ive tried easy bake clay, and it works alright for simple designs,but when you want to add detail it tends to be too soft and falls apart and almost melts in your hands on the real thin parts...for instance i was trying to make a ribbon tail type worm but the ribbon part was too tough to do with this particular clay..every time you touch the clay it changes shape..

I use Sculpey Clay, and have the same problem. It was suggested here to put it in the frig every once in a while to cool it and make it stiffer again, but I haven't tried that yet.

I thought about using one of the blue ice packs next to my work area to do the same thing, but I haven't sculpted anything since I thought of doing that, so I don't know how it would work.

thanks for the tip mark...i will try to cool it down and see how that goes...also ive realized that wax paper is a must because when i flatten the ribbon part down it sticks to my table and ruins the whole design..i wonder if actual sculpting clay would be easier to work with or if that issue will still be there..

There was this baking clay from Michaels that they discontinued, for the life of me I cannot remember the brand name of it, but it only came in a 2"x6" block and was a redish/brown in color. I loved using that stuff way better than sculpey clay. It always bad a good texture, never too soft or hard. Only bad part was when it was time to bake if you didnt keep a close eye on it, it would burn easily.

Big Pancho uses sculpey clay if I am not mistaking, and he gets all sorts of details and shapes to come out great. But he's goood..... He could make a bait master out of mud and get it to look good lol.

I always do my clay models on a small piece of glass. (assuming a 1 piece mold). You can get it pretty thin that way. When you are done, use the caly to create a dam around the model and pour your resin or RTV. Be sure to put it on a level surface.

Using resin (my favorite) you can then sand the edges smoothe and duplicate the mold with a silicone negative.

Yes I am ;) (T&C Lures)

cool bruddah..ive seen some of your stuff on sd fish...your plastics are fresh...from what ive read mostly for the salt (i can be wrong)...ive been on a freshwater kick for sometime now but would like to get some bass out of the bay...where do you sell your plastics here..

@everyone else...i sure appreciate the tips..i will be looking into the super sculpey clay..altho ive seen some improvement in my molds..again being new to this im still just screwing around to learn from my mistakes...what ive found is i can do a nice draft with my clay as detailed as possible...bake it...and put some sanpaper to it...last mold came out alot cleaner than before..i think a dremmel or some sort of tool is definitely going to be on my list of things i need to get when i can...thanks for all the help..

cool bruddah..ive seen some of your stuff on sd fish...your plastics are fresh...from what ive read mostly for the salt (i can be wrong)...ive been on a freshwater kick for sometime now but would like to get some bass out of the bay...where do you sell your plastics here..

@everyone else...i sure appreciate the tips..i will be looking into the super sculpey clay..altho ive seen some improvement in my molds..again being new to this im still just screwing around to learn from my mistakes...what ive found is i can do a nice draft with my clay as detailed as possible...bake it...and put some sanpaper to it...last mold came out alot cleaner than before..i think a dremmel or some sort of tool is definitely going to be on my list of things i need to get when i can...thanks for all the help..

Thanks, although my stuff was originally geared more for fishing the salt there have been plenty of people catching LMB with them as well. As soon as I start my new company I will have a couple baits that will be more freshwater friendly ;)

And by the way, a dremel is a must have for those who want to create details in their baits. I have even shaped one of my swimbaits from a hunk of clay just purely by using the dremel lol. That was messy and took a lot of time, but it was fun. If you ever need any help just hit me up at tclures@hotmail.com.

Howdy Mike its Big Pancho. It was cool chatting with ya on the phone the other day. What I can suggest is purchasing a cheap set of carving tools for that bake clay. You can get a cheap set of the small carving tools for under 20.00 bucks at Micheals. Another tip would be to primer the clay with a thin coat of primer to start than apply more as it dies. If you apply to much primer onto the clay the primer will never dry properly. If you having problems with the clay getting to soft on ya stick it in the fridge for ten minutes. This will allow the clay to harden back up. I am no pro at this but have been playing with clay for about 4.5 years now. You got my number if you get in a jam shoot me another call. Good luck with your projects. Big Pancho

• Like 1

There was this baking clay from Michaels that they discontinued, for the life of me I cannot remember the brand name of it, but it only came in a 2"x6" block and was a redish/brown in color. I loved using that stuff way better than sculpey clay. It always bad a good texture, never too soft or hard. Only bad part was when it was time to bake if you didnt keep a close eye on it, it would burn easily.

Big Pancho uses sculpey clay if I am not mistaking, and he gets all sorts of details and shapes to come out great. But he's goood..... He could make a bait master out of mud and get it to look good lol.

Who is this Big Pancho guy and where can I find him... does he show up here anymore? Does he accept private messages? 

Hey guys, I use a marble 12 x 12 floor tile. Stays colder than room temp and have never had a problem with clay being too soft. Also, I never bake the clay. I find with pop molds it causes damage to the edges when trying to remove the blank. I simply make my mold box on the piece of tile, pour the pop and let it setup for 2 hrs. Then remove from box and pick out the clay. I've been using the same piece of clay for all my molds.