BrownPigs

Molding In Weights

I have some multi joint swibaits that I think are coming along pretty well that I am making out of resin. Currently I pour the bait then I drill in the space for the weights and put in the screw eyes etc. I was wondering how to set up a mold so that I molded everything into the bait.... at the very least to mold the weights in?

Thank you

I haven't quite figured it out yet either. No doubt, the method used in the tutorial will work, but I ran into issues keeping the weight perfectly centered. And the only way to tell is to test the lure once its cast in.

I also tried this with just eye screw hardware too, which worked a little better since it's not as important for the screw to be perfectly straight. Either way, it just seems easier to drill and patch because you know exactly where the ballast ends up. One thing is for sure, casting the hardware in is definitely stronger than gluing. You have to destroy a lure to get an eye screw (twisted wire) out.

I'm also using an rtv mold. I'm sure it would be much easier with an aluminum mold that is actually designed to hold the hardware in place. The problem with the rtv is that it is very flexible and it's hard to make sure everything stays lined up when you put the pieces together, even with a split mold.

Sorry to not help more. Good luck.

First of all, let me make it clear that I have not tried this, but have given it a lot of thought in the past.

My solution for a lure molding production line would be to mold the lead onto the wire harness, probably making a resin mold for the job. I would keep the master, made of wooden dowel and wire for making new molds when required. Once everything was working perfect, you could get an aluminium mold made for the job.

It is all about repeatability, so the wire harness would be made using a forming jig.

The only requirement is that the harness must have at least three points of contact when it is inserted into the body mold. This is easily achieved with the tow eye and two hook eyes.

I am sure this method has been used by other builders here on TU.

Dave