2TBone

Adhesive For Foil

I've tried a couple of different things including 3M adhesive and contact cement, which works OK but can be really messy. JMHO, save yourself the trouble and buy some Venture Brite-Bak adhesive foil. It's thin, strong, and the adhesive on it works great.

I've tried a couple of different things including 3M adhesive and contact cement, which works OK but can be really messy. JMHO, save yourself the trouble and buy some Venture Brite-Bak adhesive foil. It's thin, strong, and the adhesive on it works great.

X2 It is really easy to use, lays down well, and takes paint well, too.

I typically dip it once in my urethane top coat, and then paint right over that.

I don't want to hi-jack the thread, but how does one go about making the edges of the foil disappear with out overloading with paint?

Once the foil is applied to my liking the whole bait then gets a coat of 30 minute epoxy. This hides the edges of the foil and gives a smooth surface to paint on.

Ben

I've wanted to try this stuff out but still haven't find the time.

http://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html

Somebody had posted about this stuff before CLM. At $6.75 for one 6"  X 11.5" that's a little too rich for my blood. I use the Brite Bak foil and can polish it to an almost mirror finish after putting it on the bait if I so desire.

Ben

Elmer's spray adhesive!  It's cheap and works great!

Plus, I also use it for hold stencils in place when spraying.  A very light mist, then let it sit for a couple minutes, and then you can place the stencil on the lure without having to worry about the adhesive residue coming off.  I DID NOT COME UP WITH THIS!,  I think BobP did.  

I've used the self adhesive foil with great results. It's made by reflectix it cost about $2.25 for a 2" x 30' roll and available at The Home Depot. It's not the stuff you get in the plumbing department it's in the isulation aisle. It's a lot thinner and smooths out well.

I have foil that I saved from roll (the little drum shaped ones) chocolate caramel candies.

I have been thinking of using them in foiled wooden lures, but I do not know if they would be practical, until I make one. 

These are really thin and a little delicate with one side gold colored and the other a mildly frosted silver. 

I have cut away the over wrinkled ends and carefully burnish out the foil over a magazine with a smooth tool and lightly pass with thumb and forefinger as many wrinkles from the rectangles of foil as I can possibly get.

Then I wash them in dish soap and slow running warm water and burnish them again the same way, dry with with a folded paper towel, then I place them in a book.

I was wondering what would be a good spray adhesive for this to be put on over a dried precoat D2T.

I had thought about the 3M stuff for this, but it is kind of pricey.

Anything cheaper?  Would the Elmer's work for this?